Assistance with Dividing Accommodation Costs by FTE

TheWes

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I hope you're doing well.
I’m looking for some assistance with a task related to my current dataset.
The dataset contains around 5,000 rows and includes about 250 unique locations. Please see here a sample.

Sample of dataset
LocationUnitGPFTEAccommodation costs
RoosendaalRES-123--5.000
RoosendaalRES-12401,85.000
Amsterdam001,6-
AmsterdamRES-xxx---
AmsterdamRES-xxx---
Amsterdam0---
BredaRES-xxx--20.000
BredaRES-xxx05,220.000
BredaRES-xxx--20.000
Breda0--20.000
Breda0--20.000
Breda0--20.000
Breda0--20.000
Breda0--20.000
Breda0--20.000
Breda000,120.000

Problem:
- I have used index match to link the accommodation costs (from another dataset) to all the locations and associated units.
To avoid double counting of costs and to accurately divide the accommodation costs over the units: I want to divide the accommodation costs using the FTE for each 'unique' location.
- So for example in this sample dataset. I want to make a formula which for "Roosendaal, RES-123" will output me 0 and for "Roosendaal, RES-124 will output me 5.000, both in the accommodation column.

Due to the size of the data and reoccurence of steps, manually dividing the costs would be time-consuming. Therefore, I’m hoping you could provide guidance or a potential solution to automate this process.
Any help or suggestions on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance for your support.

Best regards,
W

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Could you show me the explicit calculation you're using to get the numbers for RES-123 and RES-124 here? I don't understand why RES-123 would be 0, and I don't understand how the FTE has been used for RES-124. Do we know that RES-123 and RES-124 are related just by the location, or does the "RES" matter? I feel like a few more examples with explicit calculations could help here.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply.

A few notes which I hope help:
1) Column 1 through 4 you can consider as hardcoded (location through FTE).
2) Column 5 (accommodation costs) is an index match function which retrieves data from another tab. My problem is that now I allocated the accommodation cost on each location, to all the units. I would like however to divide the accommodation costs over the units based on the FTE of each unique unit. So this would mean that I would allocate 0 accommodation cost to Roosendaal RES-123 and 5.000 to Roosendaal RES-124, since all fte work for Roosendaal (unit) RES-124.
3) RES-123 is zero because there are no FTE working in that unit. Please know, a location can consist of multiple units (RES-123, RES-124 etc.)
4) "Do we know that RES-123 and RES-124 are related just by the location, or does the "RES" matter?" Just by the location, the RES has no meaning.

To your last comment, what other explicit calculations could be helpfull?
I hope this gives more clear information on the topic.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
So you would want the accommodation costs to show as a percentage of the FTE for the unit. For RES-124 there is 1.8 FTE for the whole location, so 1.8 FTE for RES-124 means 100% of the location's accommodation cost. It looks like Breda would have one RES-XXX with 19,62, and another unit with 0,38. Sound right?

Would you like another column for this info next to Accommodation Costs? If not, I will need to see the other sheet that the Index Match formula is referencing so that I can create a formula that gets info from that sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EP25

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back