Assigning a number to like row values

Colombo

Board Regular
I'm not sure if this can even be done, but you guys know your stuff, so I figured I'd ask :)

I've got a column of values. The values are subject headings like: "I need help with" "What's wrong" etc.

What I would like to do is sort through that list and assign a numbered value for a particular subject heading.

So for any "What's wrong" headings, it would put a "1" in the column next to it.

I'm basically converting some old info from a forum into a new format.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Do you have a pre-set numbering system, that is, a table that associates each heading with a unique number?

Upvote 0
No, no preset table.

Like I said, this was an old forum type setup. So for the most part, everything is going to be sorted by date.

I could just dump everything into the new format as a new thread for each row, but it'd be nice to combine the appropriate threads into a single topic rather then having x number of same posts.

I was figuring that once I get all the rows in, I would sort ascending by date, and if I could pull off what I want to do, have it generate the numbers starting from 1.

Once the numbers are assigned I should be able to tweak them if need be.

Josh

Upvote 0
Got another quick question here.

I've used the match function and it works good. I'm however now looking to group the like topic id's. So let's say I have 5 2's, 4 3's, and 6 4's. I only want to display one row of 2's, one row 3's, etc.

I messed around with a pivot table and round aboutly got the layout I needed, but I wasn't sure if this is the easiest way to do this.

If a pivot table is the way to do it, let me know and I'll play around with it some more.

Thanks

Josh

Upvote 0
Colombo said:
Got another quick question here.

I've used the match function and it works good. I'm however now looking to group the like topic id's. So let's say I have 5 2's, 4 3's, and 6 4's. I only want to display one row of 2's, one row 3's, etc.

I messed around with a pivot table and round aboutly got the layout I needed, but I wasn't sure if this is the easiest way to do this.

If a pivot table is the way to do it, let me know and I'll play around with it some more.

Thanks

Josh

Some possible methods are described here

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=8659

Upvote 0
Sort the list based on the Field2 value (below). Then AutoFilter where Field3 equals 1...
Book1
ABCDE
1Field1Field2Field3
2What'swrong21
3What'swrong20
4Ineedhelp41
5Ineedhelp40
6Thehellwithyou61
7Hey,goodlook'n71
Sheet3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back