Array Statements

krismcmillan

Evening All

I'm trying to import an .rtf file (as per example below) into MS Access 2010, using VBA.

Owner Location Type Product Code Product Description/Desc 2 Pack Size Rotation No. H A Cases/ Units

E45 AA/09A/1 Pick 00271296 PU VALUE BINA RED ASSTD 0/ 0
E45 AA/09A/1 Pick 00319997 2B FASHIONJOGLEG BLU/GRY ASSTD 0/ 0
E45 AA/09A/1 Pick 00371296 PU VALUE BINA RED ASSTD 0/ 0
E45 AA/09A/1 Pick 00372379 PU VALUE BALLERINA BLACK ASSTD 0/ 0
E45 AA/09A/1 Pick 00471296 PU VALUE BINA RED ASSTD 0/ 0

I have managed to write the code below and it imports the first four columns into a access table, which is great.

Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="C:\Users\kmcmilla\Desktop\PFK.rtf", Origin:= _
xlMSDOS, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 9) _
, Array(4, 1), Array(9, 1), Array(22, 1), Array(31, 2), Array(53, 9), Array(84, 1)), _
TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

But I need to import the rest of the file, into a table. But not sure on how to adjust the Array statements to accommodate this.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="C:\Users\kmcmilla\Desktop\PFK.rtf", Origin:= _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]xlMSDOS, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 9) _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333], Array(4, 1), Array(9, 1), Array(22, 1), Array(31, 2), Array(53, 9), Array(84, 1)), _[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]TrailingMinusNumbers:=True[/COLOR]
Where did you get that code from?

That looks like code for importing it into Excel, not Access (note the Workbooks object name).

Upvote 0
I got the code from another Access database, that I have written.

What should I use instead for "Workbooks.OpenText" code?

Upvote 0
Is that other Access database calling/setting Excel objects? Do you see any Excel references in that VBA code?

The Access equivalent is "TransferText" using an Import Specification, which is basically an import map (see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff835958.aspx).

Creating the Import Specification is actually quite easy. You just do the import once manually (External Data menu -> Import -> Text File), which invokes the Import Wizard. You then indicate where all the field breaks are (looks like a Fixed Width file), and then in your last step before completing the import, click the Advanced button, and save your Import Specification name. You can then use it in your Imports.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back