Archiving Records

agrogers15

Hello MrExcel experts! I am just starting to work with MS Access and need help with my chosen method of archiving records.

The reason for this is I do not have access to my companies database servers, so to prevent the database from crashing from too many entries, I want to offload old records to an excel file.
What I have started for this is I created an archive table to which records will be stored until exported to excel then deleted. The part I need help with is creating a macro that will autorun once a month and append everything in the archive table to an existing excel file. Data cannot be overwritten. The other issue is the excel file will need to be on a corporate share site.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Not really the answer you want, but why not add an additional column to your recordset as a flag, then you place a marker in that and have your normal data queries ignore those records. Unless your data set is excessively large may it not be managed just in Access

Upvote 0
if feasible it's simplest to just delete all the records in the Excel file, then refresh it by adding back all the new data from the archive table. This makes it unnecessary to do all the work of figuring out what's "new" and what's "already there".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaseremad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back