Append 13th month of data & remove 1st to remote dbase?

Screwtape

I have a monster file in which I would like to keep the latest 12 months of data.

Problem is, my working database is 100+MB, and it gets a bit unwieldy at times. On top of that, I have a great tool I created to blow all the data down into a single executive summary page...but when I create analysis pivot tables in Excel, they end up being 25+MB each. Its eating up my hard drive. :confused:

Is there a way to automate the append of the new 13th month, pull the first month off, and dump it into another database? This will keep my day-to-day database in a somewhat manageable size, maintains my 12 month rolling window, while allowing me maintain the old records in case I need to do a historical pull.

Anyone able to tackle this, or am I requesting the un-possible :eek: ? I wish I was remotely smart enough to figure this out...but I've recently purchased 3 of Bill's books...so I'll be a self-helper in no time! :wink:

Thanks,
Screwtape

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Regarding the size of the database, have you tried Tools>Database Utilities...Compact and Repair...

Why not just use queries to get the data you want?

You could use criteria that will only return the last 12 months.

Upvote 0
If you have a column like update you could make a query which inserts all rows where update < (current date - 13 months) into another database/table and with a second query you can delete this files.

Upvote 0
Norie, compact got me down to 100Mb! :eek:

I hadn't considered modifying the underlying query. I'll try that first.

Unfortunately, this was a collaborative effort with another co-worker was is an Access maven...who is now in Ohio. Not the most effective way to collaborate when you're working with 100+Mb sized files. LOL

I'll keep you posted,
Screwtape

Upvote 0
13 months data

Hi

This is one of the jobs I hate. However you can do it with a formula.

Make a select query, based on your table, and include extra column where you calculate variable "TP" (This Period), place it as first column.

So TP: Format((Year(Now())+(Month(Now())/100)),"0000.00") . You should now have a field, like 2005.02. Use same coding on your date field, that you want to identify as being "moveable" etc. With this field, do data selection on <[TP]-1.

Because TP is not a whole number, the -1 subtracts from the actual year, not month, and thus you maintain a whole years data.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back