Anyone tried Windows 7 yet?

SydneyGeek

MrExcel MVP
I put my toe in on the weekend; converted a newish laptop to Win 7 because
1. I wanted to see how it worked before changing over my desktop
2. I've been using Virtual PC 2007 so I can run 2 copies of Office, but I have had a few crashes recently and wanted to try the XP Mode setup that MS have been touting.

So far, not bad.
Good:
Data migration was straightforward with the wizard, and the report showed what apps I needed to reinstall.
Interface is better; shutting down is simpler than with Vista, for example
XP Mode looks slicker than Virtual PC 2007. You download and install Virtual PC (no number; it's an updated one specifically for Win 7) and XP Mode (XP SP3, licensed and ready to go once installed). After a restart, launch Virtual PC and follow the wizard. You can then install apps and close the virtual window.
Launching the apps is straightforward. Start > All Programs > Virtual PC > XP Mode Applications > pick the app, and it launches into the full window.
And, USB support is finally there.

Gotcha:
To get good performance your CPU needs to support hardware virtualization. Mine does but the manufacturer doesn't provide the option in the BIOS. Bummer... it's a bit slower than I would like, and you miss out on being able to use the My folders from the virtual app. You can still copy/paste.

Not so good:
I don't like the fact that Update is now on or off -- you don't get the option to decide what to install. Might switch to another option like Secunia.

Still more digging to go. Anyone else got any comments?

Denis

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I've been running 64bit Win 7 on a relatively old laptop for a month or so and I have to say it's a great improvement on Vista!
Does the VPC not support Shared Folders then? (I'm more familiar with VirtualBox since it runs on the Mac too, so not sure what the VPC equivalent is)
I read an interesting article the other day that said that in real world application, Windows 7 was often the same speed or even slightly slower than Vista, but felt much faster due to the improved window handling.

Hi Rory,

I've only had limited time to play with the new setup but apps seem to launch fairly quickly and the response is good. So far I like what I see.

I gather that VPC does support shared folders but with the hardware virtualization turned on, it is supposed to 'just work'. Unfortunately my 12 month old Dell Vostro has a CPU that supports it but Dell in its wisdom doesn't let you enable it in the BIOS.

If I can't find a way to enable it my next laptop wil be purchased with that capability in mind, and Dell will have lost a customer.

Denis

They might bring out a BIOS update now that 7 is official?

I can't get into the technical stuff like that, but I am liking it better than I did Vista.

My one main pet peve/nag with it so far is that the show desktop 'button' is on the right instead of the left where it's been for the past--how many years? I haven't managed to retrain myself yet to go right instead of left.

Rory:
I hope so. They will have some cranky customers on their hands if they don't.

Kristy:
Never used the button myself -- I always use Windows-D. But isn't it great how they just move stuff around?
I don't miss the sidebar, and I like the fact that the Snipping tool is now in the Start menu. Apparently Vista has the tool but I never found it -- I tend to use SnagIt as my main weapon for screen grabs, and OneNote is pretty cool for grabbing bits of websites. That said, a simple and esy to access tool is always helpful.
Also noticed that, installing on a laptop, you get a utility for connecting to a projector.
And I'm gonna go for a dig; anyone know if printing to PDF is baked into the OS now like it is for Mac?

Denis

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back