Any way to use "Query Wizard-Filter Data" with "Web Query"?

foverman

Board Regular
I'm looking to find out if there's any way to use "Query Wizard-Filter Data" with a "Web Query"?

External Data is one area of Excel I've never done much with. I have a need to post a "master data file" out on our company's web-based document server. The expectation is that several Excel files will access this and pull out what data each needs, filtered by project manager, department, whatever.

• If I select Get External Data From Web, I can put in the URL of the CSV file on the document server, and Excel pulls in the whole data set. No option for Query Wizard-Filter Data.
  • If I select From Other Sources From MS Query, I can point to a local copy of the data on my PC and filter the data as needed. But if it's on a local or network drive there are access issues.

I think I know the answer (after a substantial amount of time Googling this), but before I give up I thought I'd throw the question out here. Is it possible to use "Query Wizard-Filter Data" (or something like it) with a "Web Query"?

The query can be built in either Excel 2007 or 2003, but most use of it after that will be in 2007.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Using a macro I would pull all the data from the web site for all cases needed, and have it be loaded to a separate part of the excel sheet that will not overwrite anything.

Then do your filtering with the macro to only copy or move around the certain data cells that you need for each situation.

I do web queries most of the day automatically and only use the data I need for different uses.

Upvote 0
pull all the data from the web site
Yes, post-query filtering may be the only way to go. Having the filter built into the query has many advantages.

Looks like this may be another of those "If only"s I keep running into these days.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back