Any computer Whizzs ?

mercmannick

Hi

i know this is not a topic for this forum but was hoping with all the experts on line here , i might get a reply..........

i have a bet with a friend that, any hotmail or yahoo etc , web based mail clients

that A: they are not kept on your pc ( they are kept on the web server)

B: you would need your login and password to retrieve these emails

yes it will leave a file on your pc in temp files or where ever it goes , but not the whole email, and if you try and open these files you would be takn to the login page of whatever , web mail you are using.

Please help me WIN THIS BET :)

Merc

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
nate oliver
we both looked at faqs and dnt fully understand them thats y ive asked on here

From the Hotmail faq:

MSN Hotmail is the world's largest provider of free, Web-based e-mail. With Hotmail, anyone can read and receive e-mail messages from any computer in the world that has an Internet connection and a Web browser that supports graphics, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or later, or Netscape Navigator 4.08 or later.

Hotmail is great for people who use more than one computer, travel frequently, or do not own a computer. Your messages are stored in a central location, so your Inbox is always up to date, no matter where you are.

Sending and receiving e-mail from Hotmail is easy: Go to the MSN Hotmail Web site and sign in. With Hotmail, you can stay connected anywhere in the world.

To use Hotmail on your home computer, you need Internet access through an Internet service provider (ISP).
Like I said, you win. :)

cool nice one thanks m8 looks like i gonna win a nice £50 , it does leave something on your pc though dosent it ?

so i am definately right in saying no cache of emails, would be on his pc, even though they cache a link to login to get the emails (which you would need internet and user/pass) :)

One Happy And soon to be Very Drunk Merc

I doubt that you are 'definitely' correct on that.

Again, the cache works differently with each and every web-based e-mail provider and differs by browser type, e.g.,

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=8840

Unless you are an expert on all possible combinations, which I am not, it would be hard to make a definite statement about this, one way or the other. ;)

Well, depends how you access your hotmail. I use Microsoft Outlook for emails and I have set it up to retrieve my Hotmail as well which enables me to read my hotmail while offline as Outlook will download the emails to your PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PinHeads

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back