Another bug in xl2bb

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
It appears that xl2bb is unable to handle some types of cell contents that span multiple cells. The three examples in the Mini Sheet below look like this in real life.

1641362951415.png

But the Mini Sheet expands the column where the actual text is stored to accomodate its width.
  1. In the first example, the text is centered in the center cell. The Mini Sheet expands that entire column.
  2. In the second example, the text is stored in the first cell, then the three header cells are selected and set to "Centered Across Selection". The Mini Sheet expands the first column.
  3. In the third example, the 2 header cells are Merged and Centered. The Mini Sheet handles that correctly.
Binomonial Distribution.xlsx
CDEFGHIJKLM
10Centered in Center CellCentered Across SelectionMerged and Centered
11WinsLossesGamesWinsLossesGamesWinsLossesGames
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E12:E14,M12:M14,I12:I14E12=C12+D12

Thanks for the heads up.

Just out of interest, why does it matter? The only one that I can see that is likely to affect any solution that might be offered is the merged one, and that is handled correctly. If all three looked the same, I would have thought that would actually be unhelpful.

Thanks for the heads up.

Just out of interest, why does it matter? The only one that I can see that is likely to affect any solution that might be offered is the merged one, and that is handled correctly. If all three looked the same, I would have thought that would actually be unhelpful.
To me, it matters because it doesn't look like the actual sheet. The mini sheets are intended to provide readers with as close to an exact replica of the actual sheet as possible. I can't think of an example right off where it would affect the excecution, but if I had a table with something like 20 columns with a heading that spanned the entire width of the table, the mioni sheet might be so wide it would not fit on the screen.

To me it's either identical or it's not. It's not.

The mini sheets are intended to provide readers with as close to an exact replica of the actual sheet as possible

I don't fully agree with that. The purpose is to make life easier for those who are trying to help by replicating as much relevant information as possible. To that end, some things are clearly more important than others. XL2BB is not, nor do I believe it is intended to be, an exact replica of Excel. (If that were a simple thing to achieve, Online Excel would be the same as desktop. ;))

Anyway, I'll make sure that this has been seen by @smozgur but - for the sake of transparency - unless it is a simple change and one that will transfer properly back to Excel (I don't know if you can easily achieve those items with HTML), I would actually vote against implementing it, for the reason I mentioned.

I'll make sure that this has been seen by @smozgur but - for the sake of transparency - unless it is a simple change and one that will transfer properly back to Excel (I don't know if you can easily achieve those items with HTML), I would actually vote against implementing it, for the reason I mentioned.
Thanks, @RoryA.

I don't prefer to repeat this all the time, however, one last time hopefully, XL2BB is not a worksheet replacement, therefore it is not our goal to make it work like a worksheet, which is already not possible, and also not necessary.

It is already not easily possible to implement in HTML as we'd like to keep the custom styling at a minimum level. Therefore, there is no plan to make any changes concerning this minor issue.

The issue could be solved by wrapping that header content as shown below or merging the cells.
Book1
ABC
1this is a long header
Sheet1

Oh my god. I am so, so sorry. I will make a note to not bother you in the future.
Oh no, you don't bother me at all.
I just don't prefer to make the same statement for all cosmetic issues about the mini-sheets related to the fact that it is not a worksheet but simply a range representation to make it easy to exchange data and visualize a range besides the useful features it has. Other than that, we would of course like to hear about functional issues and real bugs that affect the reason for its existence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roccanet

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back