Analyzing Comments in Excel 2010 Cells

Aghurl72

This is my first post on a forum like this and I am just learning advanced excel functions/formulas. I have to review comments submitted as part of a survey and then code those comments that contain complaints about specific areas, etc. I pull the survey data from a web server as CSV files and then begin coding. As my knowledge of excel grows I am improving my process. I have been able to write some formulas for cells that contain specific data that does not change and add a code in an adjacent cell for that data. But searching and finding multiple words, phrases and/or abbreviations within the comment cells has proven difficult. Here is a sample comment "My A/C did not cool the room properly and it was loud." Some surveys may say air condition, AC, ac, or A/C, etc.; and their issue with the ac may be different; loud, noisy, not cooling, etc. I have to code this for the AC and the specific issue, which is loud or not cooling, etc. So I use a coding system with the letters representing the air conditioner and a number representing the specific issues, e.g., loud (AC2). I have tried multiple formulas to capture just the AC abbreviation (or any other abbrev.) but was getting incorrect responses because of words that contained "ac." Here is an example of one of the formulas I tried: =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("*AC*",A1)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("*A/C*",A1)),IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("*aircondition*",A1)),"","AC"),"AC"),"AC") Like I said I am just learning about formulas and my experience with them is limited. But I want to learn more and that is why I am taking classes and I joined this forum. If anyone can provide some insight I would greatly appreciate the help.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back