Analysis Toolpak

Expiry

I've just enabled this for the first time, so that I can use a networkdays formula.

I know there are a few formulae that only work when this is enabled, so my question is why is it not enabled as standard?

Is it really worth using the formulae that come with this (I've got by for 10 years without, and even the one I've used today, I could find a work around with standard formulae)?

I'm assuming it's a memory/ performance issue or something. If anyone has any strong opinion - good or bad - on this, I'd be very interested to hear it.

Much obliged.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I have to admit I'm not sure why it has never been made standard. It's a particular bugbear of mine that so many useful formula are hidden away in it. One of my favourites is EDATE which I use quite a lot.

Dom

I guess really it’s only useful for more advanced use of Excel with finance, engineering, etc. and is therefore unnecessary for the majority of Excel users. Possibly along the lines of….if you need it, you know where it is, if you don’t need it then you are unaware of it’s existence.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
However, apparently the functions in the analysis toolpak are now standard native functions built in to XL2007. Perhaps someone can verify that??

It was a memory problem, which no longer exists. We all have plenty of RAM now. I've heard it is part of the Excell 2007 install.

Well, that's good to know. I think the problem with it is, I have to design a spreadsheet for others to use. So I have to tell everyone to 'install' the Analysis Toolpak to enable what I'm doing for them, potentially. To anyone that doesn't know Excel, that could sound like a massive job.

Many of the functions within the ATP can be replaced with standard Excel formulas (although generally pretty complicated looking ones) - Barry Houdini is the master when it comes to these. In many of his posts you will find formulas he has given which can be used if the ATP is not available/not desired. Specifically NETWORKDAYS, WORKDAY, WEEKNUM, EOMONTH...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstefanakis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back