Alternative versions of SLOPE() and INTERCEPT()

Getafix1066

Board Regular
Hi,

This is a follow on from a related thread https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1047034-line-worst-fit.html

I'm interested in the 'line-of-best-fit' or 'trend line' for a set of scattered points on a graph. I know I can use SLOPE() and INTERCEPT() to get the equation of the line in the form of y=mx+c (where m is the slope, and c is the intercept).

Having spent some time researching this I've discovered that SLOPE() and INTERCEPT() use a technique known as 'least squares linear regression', this is OK but it tends favour one axis over the other.

I've also learnt that statisticians/mathematicians have a more accurate technique called 'total least squares linear regression' which doesn't favour one axis over the other (not as much, anyway!)

My question is this - is there a version of SLOPE() and INTERCEPT() that use this technique? If not is there another way of doing total least squares analysis in excel?

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I'm not sure if paragilder circling with drift shall be fitted linear equation at all, but you may try formulas given at: http://www.real-statistics.com/regression/total-least-squares/

As far as I'm aware, you shall compute it on your own in workbook, because there are no predefined functions for it. Of course it is not necessary to use as many helper cells as in the sample in a link above. You could combine formulas into just two (especially as you already have defined names with lat and lon data :) ).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back