Alt, E, etc short cut keys

bobaol

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, please help me remember all the short-cut keys in Excel. For example, Alt, E, A, A is for Clear All in a Cell (meaning clear out everything, formats and all). Alt, E, A, F is for Clear All Formats (meaning it retains the value), or after I do Control+C, then I press Alt, E, S the Paste Special Dialogue Box comes up. Or, once I highlight a selection, I use Alt, D, S and the Sort Dialogue box shows up. Anyway, you get the point. I would love to have all the short cut keys. There are many on the web, but a lot of them are very difficult to find, especially for those of us who started as Excel97 users. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
There are "thousands" of shortcuts...
If, from Excel, you press Alt the tabs in the ribbon and even the commands in the QAT will be marked by a letter or number; if you press that letter or number then the associated item will be pressed and you will be presented with the next layer of shortcuts, and so on until you reach the final command. In many cases this combination depends on the local language (look at the attached image, and match my shortcuts for the ribbon tabs with yours)

A list of most common shortcuts and the description of this process is in this Microsoft article: Keyboard shortcuts in Excel - Microsoft Support

Attachments

• SHORT_Immagine 2023-03-01 101100.jpg
    SHORT_Immagine 2023-03-01 101100.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Appreciate the replies. I'm not interested in Ribbon Short Cuts, as I find it mostly worthless due to the huge number of them. I should have been more clear. I want old-school Excel97, ExcelXP short cuts, the days before the Ribbon. The 222 List is good, but not comprehensive. For example, MrExcel has a whole page dedicated to Alt, E, S for the Paste Special Dialogue box. I'm looking for all those shortcuts before the Ribbon. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Fraid I can't help you with that. I haven't used xl 2003 (or earlier) for a very long time.

Upvote 0
Your use of Alt threw me, I associate that with using the new menu paths, I use "/" instead of Alt which is set up under Options > Advanced > Lotus Compatibility (bottom of that screen). eg sort /dss old pivot screen /dp

The system uses the underlined letter of each menu so having a copy of the 2000 or 2003 menu bar will get you there.
I found one of those here:
It will generally get you to the dialogue box once you are there you can look at what letter for each option is highlighted there.

Upvote 0
The Beginner's Guide is helpful. Thank you. It would be great to have the next level of the menu, as well. Like it is showing Alt E A for Clear, but it is not showing the next level after that, like Format, All, Conditional Formatting, I forget the rest. I am grateful all these short cuts still work in the new versions of Excel. There are some things that are so difficult to do in Ribbon Excel, like Alt O C W for column width, from ANY cell. I don't think I can control column width from a cell in Ribbon Excel easily, if i did not know this short cut. I wish i have a 2003 or older version, then i would be able to screen-shot all the menu items and be able to document all the shortcuts.

Upvote 0
Terminology wise for others coming to this thread, what you are asking about are the "2003 and prior" Keyboard Navigation keys vs the Ribbon interface equivalents.
Short cut keys are usually key combinations pressed together.

Firstly in terms of getting the last level in the sequence it is likely that the last keystroke you are looking for has not changed and the ribbon interface will show you the letter you need being the one underlined.

I have compared a few and in general the new navigation path is the same number of keystrokes as the old ones. So if you have to look up and learn the old ones you may as well learn the new ones which have lots of help and support around them. Below are some examples.

The only ones that are shorter and I kept using for a while are Alt D S for Sort (as you mentioned) and Alt D P which takes you to the Old Pivot Table Dialogue box.

1677731900745.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you for the information about key stroke shortcuts in Ribbon Excel. Also, glad to run into someone referencing Lotus123. Wow... it's been a while. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back