alpha numeric format with dashes

taliapaw

Hi I'm trying to obtain this format TT-T#-T# and I'm using this formula but when I tested it failed to follow the pattern in text and numbers, it only kept the 2 dash 2 dash 2 format.

=AND(ISTEXT(LEFT(F1,2)),MID(F1,3,1)="-",ISTEXT(MID(F1,4,1)),ISNUMBER(MID(F1,5,1)*1),MID(F1,6,1)="-",ISTEXT(MID(F1,7,1)),ISNUMBER(MID(F1,8,1)*1),LEN(F1)=8)

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Hi I'm trying to obtain this format TT-T#-T# and I'm using this formula but when I tested it failed to follow the pattern in text and numbers, it only kept the 2 dash 2 dash 2 format.

=AND(ISTEXT(LEFT(F1,2)),MID(F1,3,1)="-",ISTEXT(MID(F1,4,1)),ISNUMBER(MID(F1,5,1)*1),MID(F1,6,1)="-",ISTEXT(MID(F1,7,1)),ISNUMBER(MID(F1,8,1)*1),LEN(F1)=8)

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Your layout and possible data is not entirely clear from your description... if all the values in Column F are 6 characters long like this TTT#T# and you simply want to insert the dashes, then try this formula...

=LEFT(F1,2)&"-"&MID(F1,3,2)&"-"&RIGHT(F1,2)

Upvote 0
My apologies some sample data would be TB-F4-T2 I would like to try and restrict to this format. I use T for text and # for numbers. Also the letters can be upper or lower case there is not restriction on that.

Upvote 0
My apologies some sample data would be TB-F4-T2 I would like to try and restrict to this format. I use T for text and # for numbers. Also the letters can be upper or lower case there is not restriction on that.
See if this works for you...

=AND(LEN(C1)=8,MAX(ABS(CODE(MID(UPPER(MID(C1,5,1)&RIGHT(C1)),ROW(1:2),1))-52.5))<5,MAX(ABS(CODE(MID(UPPER(LEFT(C1,2)&MID(C1,4,1)&MID(C1,7,1)),ROW(1:4),1))-77.5))<13,MID(C1,3,1)&MID(C1,6,1)="--")

Upvote 0
The formula you provided wouldn't accept any format I entered.

I've been playing around with this formula but it allows all the following examples as well.

correct rr-t6-t6
incorrect 1r-t6-t6
incorrect r1-t6-t6
incorrect rr-16-t6
incorrect rr-t6-16
incorrect 11-t6-t6
incorrect rr-11-t6
incorrect rr-t6-11
incorrect rr-11-11
incorrect r1-11-11
incorrect 1r-11-11

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

completely rejects these formats 11-11-11 and rr-rr-rr

Upvote 0
Does the formula in post #4 work for you if you use 52,5 and 77,5 instead of 52.5 and 77.5?

If not, please show us some data in one column along with the expected result in another.

Upvote 0
The formula you provided wouldn't accept any format I entered.
I see the problem but before I attempt a fix, will the formula be using in Data Validation or simply on a cell on the worksheet?

Also, in case you missed it, please answer István's question in Message #8 as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back