Allowing Access to Multiple users At The Same Time

notoca

Hi

I have a database that sits on the network. Anyone who accesses it has read only access. They can't edit or do any changes and that's exactly how I want it. Their access to the database is just to do queries and produce reports from a switchboard menu.

The "default open mode" in the Tools/Options/Advance menu is set to shared, however, when a second person tries to access the database while someone else is using it, they get a message saying "Can't Lock File" and they cannot access the database.

How can I allow more than one person to access the database at the same time. Security is not a problem because all users only have read access, so I don't see any need for setting up any passwords or security workgroups. Is there a simple way of allowing multiple access at the same time?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hey notoca

I had the same problem with a database a while ago. It turned out to do with Windows permissions, groups and the difference between Win98 and XP(or Win2000, Win2003Server could have the same effect). Windows XP has a vastly different permissions regime than Win98, ME etc. Once the lock file has been created, it needs explicit permissions to allow users that are remote to change that file on the hosting machine.

I just played around with the permissions on the machine that hosted the database until it came right.

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
hanks anvil19

We had to change permissions to the folder and to the .LDB file and it worked. Simultaneous access to the same database.

Thanks for your help.

notoca

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back