Advice / Suggestion for what to do if two customers have the same name when adding to my worksheet.

ipbr21054

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
As per title looking for some input on an issue ive come just across.

I have a userform where i add various values in Textboxes etc related to the customer in question.

Example
JOHN SMITH has purchased an item from me, i complete the Textboxes on the userform & run the code on the command button which then places the values in the worksheet.

One of the things the code does is to look to see if there is a JOHN SMITH already present in column A
If NO then JOHN SMITH 001 is saved.
If YES the code looks at the 3 digit number & then saves like so JOHN SMITH 004
This tells me that there is JOHN SMITH 001 002 & 003

Each time at present "ANY" JOHN SMITH is saved a new 3 digit number is added which just follows on from the last saved 3 digit saved name

What i didnt factor into the equation when i started was what if there are more than one JOHN SMITH ?
I mean looking at the saved files 001 002 003 004 Doesnt mean its all for the same JOHN SMITH

Ive now got 2400 row & a few same name customers of which i wil;l have to open each file to see if same person or not.

But for the time being & moving forward can you advise how to overcome this in the future etc.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I would create a Customer ID field that is unique, simply an auto generated whole number. I'm not a fan of storing a person's name with digits in it. You would obviously have to show the customers other identifying fields such as address to make sure it was the right "John Smith" you were selecting each time.

Jeff

Upvote 0
With an ID number would work if i knew the person up front but assume it could be anybody then how would you go about it.
At present say 2000 + rows where i would assume 99% of them are al unique customers

Upvote 0
I guess I'm not clear on your question. I created a Purchase order form for a Coin Shop. They have repeat clients daily. When a a price has been negotiated, they ask the customer to provide their name and is entered in the search cell, if there is more than 1 John Smith, they ask for an address to determine which John Smith it is and proceed.

Your customers give you more than just their names? Your customers will understand that you need more information to make sure it is them. Companies do this all the time.

Upvote 0
Example i also sell on ebay to anybody so its not always the same customer.
Basically what happens when a new customers makes a purchase

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back