Advice on setting up path in a network enviroment.

jaredchristiansen

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help with this!
So there is probably an easy solution for this but in my stupidity I can’t find it. I am working on setting up various workbooks in a network environment with macros that are dependent on the correct paths to other workbooks and files. I’m building these in a network drive that has been mapped out with the Letter N for the drive letter so the path in all my macros are set up as follows example: (N:\Filename\workbook.xls) the problem is that not everyone that will be using these workbooks has this network file mapped as the N drive on their individual work stations. So my question is how do I set up the path in the macro so that it works for everyone?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Use the full network name and path (UNC naming convention) in all your references.

For example, if "N" was mapped to the "Sample" folder on the server named "Server01", instead of referencing of a file named "MyFile.xls" like this:
N:\MyFile.xls
reference it like this:
\\Server01\Sample\MyFile.xls

Then it doesn't matter what mapped drives a user has. As long as they have access to those locations on the network, it will work for them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hideoshie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back