additional feature request

TrippyTom

It would be nice to be able to type in the page you want to go to in forums. Sometimes I'm replying to a message on page 23 or whatever, but when I go back, it goes to page 1.

That's how it's supposed to work, actually. Whenever a new post is made in a thread, that thread gets bumped back to the top of the forum (i.e., the first page). The threads aren't in any specific order; where they show up depends on the date/time the last post was made to a thread. Even then, if there is no more activity in a thread it just gets pushed further and further down through the pages as new threads are added to the forum. The only threads that permanently stay in place are "sticky" and "announcement" threads on the first page of the forums.

That said, you can somewhat enter what page you want to go to. At the bottom of the forums, there are the "go to page..." links. Those are simply based on posts, not really "pages."
The links look something like this:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewforum.php?f=2&topicdays=0&start=40

Just change the number after "start" in the URL to jump to a different "page."

I don't see a place where you can type in a page number to go to... I only see the first few and the last few. There's no spot to type in a page in between... you have to click on 5, then 6, then 7 and it's really a pain to get to a certain page.

Maybe I just don't see it, but when I'm trying to catch up on posts, it's really annoying to keep going back to page 1 all the time.

As I said, you have to change it in the URL--there is no special place on the board to enter a number.

Let me go through this again:

In this URL:
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewforum.php?f=2&topicdays=0&start=40

The last 2 characters of the URL are 40. That number is what you change to "jump" somewhere else. Change it to 1, 100, 2001, whatever. It is based on the number of posts, not actually how many "pages" there are.

For example, if I were to change the URL to
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewforum.php?f=2&topicdays=0&start=5001

it shows me as being on page 251.

Thank you for the info.. but that's the whole reason I posted in the first place. I've seen other forums with this functionality. I think it would be "convenient" to have this feature here as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueH1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back