adding two values WHERE parent_ID is the same

dago

Hi,

In MsAccess 97 I have a database with basically two tables: "parents" and "children"
Each parent has a unique ID number in the "parents" table. Each child has the same in the "Children" table.
The 2 tables are related one (parents) to many (children).

Parents have to pay schoolfees for their children. Fees vary according to income, etc. so there are many different school fees, which are put into the "Children" table into each child's record. One parent_id (in the children's table) may have two or more different fees.

So far my introduction.

Now here is my question: so the parents of course have to pay fees for all their children. In a query I want to see all separate fees, but also the added fees for those parents with more than one child!
The idea is to take these data into a billing system.

Who helps me with the code? All help is appreciated!

I started out like this:SELECT Sum(Children.month_fee) AS SumOfMonthfee
FROM Children;

Dago

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi, this is best viewed in a form where the Parent form is the main form, and the Child form is the subform, with the 2 forms connected through ParentID. Each Parent record will then show all Child records for that parent.
To get an idea of how it connects, look at the Northwind sample database and check out any of the forms that also contain subforms.
One potential problem with this setup: Each parent in a 2-parent family will be shown the fees for the children and this could cause duplication.
Maybe you need a Family table connected to Child, one-to-many. In the Family table you can have Father, Mother (or Guardian1 and Guardian2) fields. That way you will only generate one set of fees for each family. Under those conditions, this query would work:
Code:
SELECT Families.FamilyName, Count(Children.ChildName) AS CountOfChildName, Sum(Children.Fees) AS SumOfFees
FROM Families INNER JOIN Children ON Families.FamilyID = Children.FamilyID
GROUP BY Families.FamilyName;

HTH
Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks, Denis,
I adapted it but cannot get it working, though.
http://members.chello.nl/d.m.de.werd/tabel.jpg shows part of the Children's table.
As you can see, this small part shows already three double parent ID's
(Sorry, the table is Dutch: I'm from the Netherlands)
Now I want a query to add the sum of fees per parent (ID). So it should show the added total fee for the Werd family, Manning family, Gunsing family and the other families as well, of couse...

Looking forward to any help.

Thanks, Dago

Upvote 0
Hi, you could try grouping on OuderID or Kind_Anaam and summing the Maandbedrag.
Build a new query in Design view, taking these fields:
OuderID, Kind_Anaam, Maandbedrag
Click the Totals button in the toolbar (the Sigma button). new row appears with Group By under each field. Leave Group By for OuderID, and change Kind_Anaam to Count and Maandbedrag to Sum

That should do it
Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back