Adding Time that is actually in decimal form?

IAMJoshua

Somehow data has been collected in dec form and now I have to add it up in like form.

I have some time entries in excel I need to add up and show result back in tenths of time.

7.3 is 7 hr 30 min
7.4 is 7 hr 40 min
14.7 is really 8 hour 10 min
so I would like to be able to show as a result 15.1

how can I do this in excel?

I do appreciate the help. I have tried several formulas with rounding but I am not getting close to resolving this.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hi I, welcome to the board.

I understand how 7.3 is 7 hr 30 min and 7.4 is 7 hr 40 min, but how do you get 14.7 from 8 hr 10 min ?

And how do you get your result of 15.1 ?

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Assuming the values you want to add are in cells A1:A3 (change to suit your actual data) then the following array formula should provide what you want:

=SUM(INT(A1:A3))+INT(SUM(MOD(A1:A3,1))/0.6)+MOD(SUM(MOD(A1:A3,1)),0.6)

This is an array formula, so once you have entered it do not press Enter - instead press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. You will know if you have done this correctly because curly brackets {} will automatically appear at each end of the formula.

Andrew

Upvote 0
This method uses DOLLARFR function from Analysis ToolPak.....

=DOLLARFR(SUMPRODUCT(TEXT(A1:A3*100,"0\:00")*24),6)

Upvote 0
Thanks I believe this is what I want. Yes I did have my number off in the example.

Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Assuming the values you want to add are in cells A1:A3 (change to suit your actual data) then the following array formula should provide what you want:

This is an array formula, so once you have entered it do not press Enter - instead press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. You will know if you have done this correctly because curly brackets {} will automatically appear at each end of the formula.

Andrew

Upvote 0

I think you'd need to add some rounding functions though. If I put 6.1 in A1 and 4.5 in A2 the result I get is 10.6. Shouldn't that be 11?

The same issue could affect my suggestion so I'd fix that with

=DOLLARFR(ROUND(SUMPRODUCT(TEXT(A1:A3*100,"0\:00")*144),0)/6,6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that's a floating point error, but as suggested the round function will fix that, like this:
=SUM(INT(A1:A3)) + INT(ROUND(SUM(MOD(A1:A3,2)),1)/0.6) + MOD(ROUND(SUM(MOD(A1:A3,1)),2),0.6)

Andrew

Upvote 0
Can you explain what the error is? The rounding gives the wrong resut so I think the following formula is correct.

I think that's a floating point error, but as suggested the round function will fix that, like this:
=SUM(INT(A1:A3)) + INT(ROUND(SUM(MOD(A1:A3,2)),1)/0.6) + MOD(ROUND(SUM(MOD(A1:A3,1)),2),0.6)

Andrew

Upvote 0
Sometimes the formula would produce something like 10.6 instead of 11.0. In debugging the formula (using menu option Tools > Formula Auditing > Evaluate Formula) I could see parts of the formula had 0.99999999 instead of 1 (i.e. it appears to be a floating point error) which was causing the problem. Per Barry's post above, do you get the correct result for 6.1 + 4.5? Also, have you tried Barry's suggestion?

Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back