Adding just one more series to a graph…......

Getafix1066

Board Regular
Hi,

I’m plotting a number of data series against time on a excel chart.

The series have the following definitions…..

=SERIES("cadence",DEMO1.xlsm!rngTimeUtc, DEMO1.xlsm!rngCadence,1)
=SERIES("oxygen", DEMO1.xlsm!rngTimeUtc, DEMO1.xlsm!rngOxy,2)
=SERIES("temp", DEMO1.xlsm!rngTimeUtc, DEMO1.xlsm!rngTemp,3)
=SERIES("power", DEMO1.xlsm!rngTimeUtc, DEMO1.xlsm!rngPower,4)

To simplify things I have defined ranges for each list of values. As you can see, they all share the same horizontal axis rngTimeUtc which is a set of time values at one second intervals over a period of a minute or two. The other ranges hold the actual data I’m interested in, cadence (i.e. pedal speed), oxygen, temperature and power. (not sure if it’s significant at this point, but all the ranges have the same number of data samples in them, the period is about 2 minutes so there are 120 times values (one for each second) and 120 values for each of the series.)

So far everything works fine, I have the graph I want, time on the horizontal axis, and four squiqly lines running from left to right.

I want to add one final series, this also needs time on the horizontal axis, and has a set of values for the ‘y’ axis. This difference is that there are only 4 samples in this final series, so I can’t use the same range, instead I use this…..

=SERIES("FINAL",Template!$C$50:$C$54,Template!$D$50:$D$54,5)

So my time values are in the cells C50:C54, and the values I want to plot are in D50:D54.

As soon as I make this change a number of things happen. Firstly I loose my horizontal axis (i.e. I loose all the text (timestamps) on the bottom edge of the graph), secondly I can no longer click on any of the 4 original series an see the definitions I listed above, thirdly the values I’ve just added (series 5) appear all squashed up in the bottom left hand corner of the chart. i.e. the vertical values are correct, but the time values (horizontal) are all set the same.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve seen some very similar stuff done elsewhere (see this clip https://youtu.be/0HkTeEU97zU?t=300 ) but it just won’t work for me. Is it something to do with using pre-defined ranges? Is there a solution?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csktwyr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back