Adding Items to Control Source List...

Bubbis Thedog

Hello, all.

I'm creating a form and I can't figure out how to add items to the Control Source list. For example, I want to select EMP_ID as my control source, but it's not available in the Control Source list. Is this done using the expression builder? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks for any help!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Does the underlying query/table have the EMP_ID field?

If it doesn't you're going to have to populate your combobox using code.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, norie.

Let's say I decide to design a form in Design mode, without using the Forms Wizard. Then I add a text box in there, which comes with its own label. How do I get the control source for that text box to represent, let's say, EMP_ID from the EMPLOYEES table? If I need to specify underlying tables, how do I do it? That's my issue right now: trying to figure out how to add that underlying table's contents that contains EMP_ID.

I hope I'm a bit clearer this time on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks, as always, for the assistance.

Upvote 0
Vinny

Just set the RecordSource property of the form to the required table/query.

Then you should get a list of all the fields in that table.

You can then just drag the fields onto the form.

If you don't get a list of the fields goto View>Field List.

Upvote 0
"Record Source" was the key word that you mentioned, norie; I was focused on "Control Source." I looked up the former in MS Access Help and it told me exactly how to do what I wanted to do.

That's a little tricky, to be honest: clicking the block between the rulers in order to change the record source properties. I never would've guessed to do it that way.

Thanks so much for your help and patience, norie!

Upvote 0
More Form Woes...

I created a query consisting of multiple non-related static tables (they are all 'parents' of the same 'child' table [one-to-many]). In the query, I established no joins. When I create a form using these query's fields as the record sources, I am not allowed to enter data into the text boxes on the form.

I suspect this is due to the fact that I'm trying to enter data into a parent field without entering it into a child field. If this is true, how can I get around this? That is, how can I allow the user to enter data into multiple static tables while those tables are still involved in relationships with another table?

Any help would be greatly appreciated once again! :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssmith04

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back