Add more data to the database

David_Skov

Well I thought I knew, but it doesn't seem to work. I have data that I enter into excel, and then I import it into Access. I then used the same excel sheet and entered new data. Then I wanted to import that data into Access, but it says it contains errors. So I don't know what to do now :(

I use the 'Get external data' -> 'Import' function. Is there another way? Can I post the errormessage in here and would that help?

It just says an error occured but not what type of error :(

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
usualy the problem is that Access is not getting the data in a format it expects, say a date field in access but text in excel.
Are you adding it straight to an existing table or creating a new one? if adding try creating a new one so that you can compare the new to the old.

HTh

Peter

Upvote 0
So even though the format in access is as it should be, then the excel has to be the same too?

I will try to compare, seems like a good idea ;)

bat17 said:
usualy the problem is that Access is not getting the data in a format it expects, say a date field in access but text in excel.
Are you adding it straight to an existing table or creating a new one? if adding try creating a new one so that you can compare the new to the old.

HTh

Peter

Upvote 0
It doesn't work, that ****. It doiesn't even give me a reason. Only says it encountered an error!. Really cleaver program :oops:

I get the data from the exact same Excel file. I only copy new data into the excel sheet and to keep the format I paste only values.

I start by making database for 2002 by importing data from the excel sheet. Then I copy new data into the excel sheet I just used and choose 'get external data' -> import

Then I go through the wizard and choose to import into the database with 2002 data. When I choose finish it says it encounted an error occured trying to import the file bla bla this is so strange :oops:

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
one possibility is to save the file as a CSV file as the text import wizard in Access gives you more control over what is happening then.

Peter

Upvote 0
Another thought, rather than copying your data to Excel and importing it have you tried pasting it directly into Access?

Peter

Upvote 0
bat17 said:
Another thought, rather than copying your data to Excel and importing it have you tried pasting it directly into Access?

Peter

can I do that?

I'll try both suggestions :p

Upvote 0
If you copy the data and just paste it in to the dtabase Access will ask if it has headers and then create a new table with it.
If you copy it without headers and select the empty row at the bottom of your table you can paste it directley into the table (Assuming fields are right!)

Peter

Upvote 0
Wohooo that worked! :D

Tx very much now I have exactly what I need ;)

bat17 said:
If you copy the data and just paste it in to the dtabase Access will ask if it has headers and then create a new table with it.
If you copy it without headers and select the empty row at the bottom of your table you can paste it directley into the table (Assuming fields are right!)

Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back