add counter in file exists vba

dean.rogers

Hey all,

I am using excel 07 vba to create a word doc. Currently when in my code I have it save as right away to make sure not to affect my template. What I need to do is add a count integer to the save as so if the file exists, it will save like this: fileexists (1).docx

Code:
Dim wrdApp As Word.Application
Dim wrdDoc As Word.Document
Set wrdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")

wrdApp.Visible = True
Set wrdDoc = wrdApp.Documents.Open("C:\Templates\MyTemplate.docx"
'this saves the file as the value in cell D3           
wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\ " & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").value & " .docx"

This works great, but i know in order to add a count integer i need to make a statement at the beginning and then add an IF statement that will save it as it is currently if the file doesn't already exist and IF it does exist then Save As with the integer...

Thanks for your help!!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Code:
Sub test()

Dim wrdApp As Variant
Dim wrdDoc As Variant

wrdApp.Visible = True
Set wrdDoc = wrdApp.Documents.Open("C:\Templates\MyTemplate.docx")

If File_Exists("D:\Documents and Settings\10130590\Desktop\test\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & ".doc") = False Then
    wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & ".docx"
Else
    wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "1.doc"
End If

End Sub

This is assuming you'll only have a max of 1 other file with D3's value as its name in your folder

Upvote 0
Hey guerillaunit, thanks for the reply. I am curious what the documents and settings piece is? Also if possible, if you could add an integer into the code that would work if many saves were made. I am trying to make it as dummy proof as possible!

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Code:
Private Function File_Exists(ByVal sPathName As String, Optional Directory As Boolean) As Boolean

On Error Resume Next

If sPathName <> "" Then
    If IsMissing(Directory) Or Directory = False Then
        File_Exists = (Dir$(sPathName) <> "")
    Else
        File_Exists = (Dir$(sPathName, vbDirectory) <> "")
    End If
End If

End Function

Sub test()

Dim wrdApp As Variant
Dim wrdDoc As Variant

wrdApp.Visible = True
Set wrdDoc = wrdApp.Documents.Open("C:\Templates\MyTemplate.docx")

If File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Range("d3").Value & ".doc") = False Then
    wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & ".doc"
ElseIf File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & ".doc") = True And _
    File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "1.doc") = False And _
    File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "2.doc") = False Then
    wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "1.doc"
ElseIf File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & ".doc") = True And _
    File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "1.doc") = True And _
    File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "2.doc") = False Then
    wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "2.doc"
    File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "1.doc") = True And _
    File_Exists("C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "2.doc") = True Then
    wrdApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\Templates\" & ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("D3").Value & "3.doc"
End If

wrdApp.ActiveDocument.Close
wrdApp.Quit
Set wrdApp = Nothing

End Sub

The above will allow you to save up to 4 copies of a workbook with the same name

Upvote 0
Hey Guerillaunit,

Thanks for the code. I figure this will have to do considering that is the approach that you are familiar with. Something to note is that the vba doesn't like the file_exists part. If i remove that from the code however it works perfect.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Upvote 0
File_exists is a custom function. Unless you have it defined elsewhere in your module, the function that saves your word file won't work

Upvote 0
Thanks, I realized that after it didn't work, when I added the private function it worked perfect.

Being that I am new to vba, I know what the private function is doing but still don't know some of the code that was used...

Are there any drawbacks or things to keep in mind as my project moves forward with the code tha you provided?

Upvote 0
Through testing I was able to find another potential error that someone could run in to. The error was "cannot save file is already open"....The error was a result to the fact i had created one file after another which resulted in having the "filename (3).docx" open and then tried to save over it.

Are you not sure how to incorporate an integer that would allow you to hypothetically save infinite?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmateurHour

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back