accidental autosum

powpow

So I have created the biggest "oops" in my life. I have a 45 page spreadsheet that i accidentally clicked one of the whole colums and clicked autosum. This has created a little bit more that 1 million rows. I have tried undo-ing, copying the content i need and deleting the column, and even trying to delete each row. Nothing has worked yet and I am desperately trying to find the answer to this question.

It is actually quite easy to recreate: open an excel spreedsheet, add a few numbers in the same column, click the header of the column to select the whole column, and then click autosum.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me with this problem.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I cannot replicate that problem (nothing happens). Which version of Excel are you using.

Upvote 0
Either use the shift key to select the first and last rows then delete all, or replace the sum formula with an =1/0 or something then use F5 goto to select and delete just those rows. If neither works you can email me the spreadsheet.

I usually use Excel 2003 with ~65,000 rows max but selecting a column and hitting the sigma button puts the sum on the very last row. 2007, which I sometimes use, goes to like ~1 million. But wouldn't it appear only once? Or is it because you have multiple page areas on one tab?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which version of Excel are you using.
I originally did it in 2010 but have tested it and it causes the same issue in 2007. if you have versions >7 did you click the autosum button under formulas?

Either use the shift key to select the first and last rows then delete all, or replace the sum formula with an =1/0 or something then use F5 goto to select and delete just those rows. If neither works you can email me the spreadsheet.
even if i delete the column i cannot delete the extra rows that were added, it only clears content.

which I sometimes use, goes to like ~1 million. But wouldn't it appear only once? Or is it because you have multiple page areas on one tab?
like you stated the sum is put on the last row (1,048,576 encase anyone is wondering), however you cannot remove those added rows. I originally thought that it was due to the size of the spreadsheet but i can recreate this exact error on a sheet fixed to the size of one page.

Upvote 0
You mean Edit-Delete-Rows (entire rows) isn't working or isn't available? You can add the delete row button to the toolbar if it isn't there too. That doesn't clear content, it removes the rows so that slide bar on the right is half the height of the screen instead of like a millimeter and only moves a few dozen rows at most instead of the whole million or whatever.

Upvote 0
yea delete rows, or right click delete however I came up with with a work around. I selected all the good data and moved it to a new sheet... by by new rows.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back