Access to Excel and back...

north19701

I am designing a collection module for a staff of 8 employees. How it is set up is all open outstanding accounts are housed in an access database. What I need to do is have 8 separate excel files that would query the database for open accounts based on the employees initials. However, I need for any updates made in the excel file to be updated in the master access table as well. Any thoughts on how to begin this?? thanks.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
It is possible to do as you request - your queries would pull data, and then you'd have to check the xls equivalent of 'dirty', I think, to determine if changes were made and then push the changes up to the Access database and then have it actually change the entries via code.

How large are these lists of open accounts?

Would it be a reasonable alternative, instead, to keep the active data in the Spreadsheets and then link the Access database to each Spreadsheet? Linking is found under the File-Import menu in Access. Changes in the spreadsheet are immediately reflected in Access.

Once they're linked, you can extract the data and append it to an Access only table as a 'backup' - lot of options here.

Mike

Upvote 0
I'd much rather have one table in Access that divides out the accounts. This is because I add accounts all the time, so this would automatically distribute out to the appropriate staff member. Also, there are other criteria I could filter with, such as accounts that were paid. In addition, I want to do a lot of reporting of this, and having just one table where all updates are (real time) would be optimal.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back