Access ODBC

andybrst

I have created linked tables to files in our mainframe software, however, I want to automatically restrict the number of records in the table. Can you filter the number of records that Access calls? AS400 files appox 1.5M records and there are 3 files required. It can take upto 30 mins to produce one query report!!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi andybrst,

By what criteria would you like to restrict the records? You can use the 'top' criteria to get the top xxx records like:

SELECT top10000 from * from Tbl1
WHERE .....

Of course, this is still another query that you're running on 1.5 mil records. Perhaps the query is the issue, I would take a look at that as well.

Post back if you need more...

HTH,

Upvote 0
The core files I'm linking into are very messy. File #1 is a customer file, file #2 is a customer order file, file #3 is a customer order line file. The aplication I want to run has a query over those three files. The key field in #1 to #2 is the customer reference, #2 to #3 is the order number. I want to just query on records within a certain date range for a certain customer reference. I thought if you could limit the records you call on in the ODBC, the query would run faster. The ODBC is Client Access into AS400.

Upvote 0
I guess I still don't understand,

By what do you want to limit the records?

To limit the records, you would run a query, but you already have that. The only thing I can think of that might help you would be to first do a query on the AS400 by just the client name, and then do the rest of your query on that query. Also, make sure your records are indexed.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Did you create a where statement that says where order_number="order number here" and client_reference="client reference here". There doesn't seem like there would be another way to make this faster. Such are the perils of a 1.5 Million record database.

-gator

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back