Access Newbie Needs Macro Help!

ramasterre

Hello All

I've learned quite a bit from this forum on how to write up macros in excel but now I need to work in Access.

I'm basically trying to automate a process without changing the current process so much that the folks who will be using it will not be happy (touchy folks). I've looked through (and printed) numerous postings trying to find the proper way to proceed to no avail. I have only been able to piece together bits of info that will probably only be helpful once I understand how and where to start. With that said I need to do the following:

Currently, I have a macro that downloads two .cvs files from a shared drive, formats and edit them and then saves them to a specified directory. From here I need to have them imported into access (or linked--btw I have no clue how to do that) so that they can be set up in an unmatched query and then exported back into excel (its what the folks prefer to have it in) where another macro sorts and edits it. Ideally, I would like this process to flow smoothly (and quickly).

I know little of vba in access (though I have been playing around it in to learn) and I know even less of SQL. I have some code to import/export the data back and forth but I really need a good start in how to write up code to open run the query.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
IF you want to do most of the analysis in Excel, you can do what you want by doing the following:

1. Always save the .csv files to the same directory, same name
2. In Access, File | Get External Data | Link... Select the file type, navigate to the directory with the csv's and select them both (Ctrl-Click), then OK.
3. Build the query to show your mismatches
4. In Excel, use MS QUERY to return the mismatched data. You'll need to point it at the mismatch query, select all fields, then choose to return the query results to Excel. Next time the files are updated, refresh the Excel query (manually or with code).

This way, there is no need for the users to directly interact with Access. It just does the job in the background.

Hope that helps

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bosvinn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back