Access Linked Table Manager Question

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I separated the Tables from my db, but this causes a dilemma for me. If I send copies of the two db's to someone they need to save them somewhere on their PC and then re-Link the tables. My deliemma is that One; I want to keep the Navigation hidden and Two; I have autoExe that error when you open the second database (Queries, forms, reports....) when the tables are not linked.

How can the user Link the tables without going into the Navigator and how do I postpone the AutoExec code until the tables are Linked?

PS I need this for Demonstration copies I send out. I realize once the users have everything set-up this dilemma goes away (after the first time).

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
The backend tables should be on the network, so if you give the FE to another person, the links should be the same, and no need to relink.
If you are linked to the BE tables on YOUR pc, then giving others copies of the tables, then that causes data sync problems. (unless your tables are static and all users dont read shared data)

You can hide the tables (db) from users in the Front end so they cant see the links, BUT for an expert, there is really no way to hide this.
Hiding the tables from normal novice users should be plenty, since I doubt a basic user would bother trying to get into the tables and the links.

Upvote 0
You could probably write code to find the other database and link the tables automatically. Just (for instance) ask that they be in the same folder.

Upvote 0
This is for Demonstration copies of my db's to customers, so they cannot access my network. I am sending them a copy of the two dbs to save to their drives.

Xenou; Could the code look at a filed where the User pastes the path to the where the tables are? is that possible?

Upvote 0
Yes, that's possible. Although I think its easier to just have the two databases in the same folder.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's possible. Although I think its easier to just have the two databases in the same folder.

Not sure how keeping them in the same helps my situation. I'm sending my potential customer a copy of my two databases. Sometimes through email.

Upvote 0
Not sure how keeping them in the same helps my situation. I'm sending my potential customer a copy of my two databases. Sometimes through email.

If they are in the same folder you can link up unlinked tables and you don't have to prompt for the location. The location of the BE database can be known (also programmatically) since it will be the same location as the FE database. This is very likely what the user would do anyway - put the databases in the same folder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I'm still to knee to completely understand. I saved the two to the same folder and it still gives me a message that the FE cannot find the BE. So if I sync them and then send them via email and the recipient saves them both to a folder in their C:drive they will not have to link the BE the first time the FE is opened? Sorry for all the follow on questions.

Upvote 0
Yes they would have to link them (maybe -- unless perhaps they put them in the exact same folder path as you did -- for instance , you could instruct the user to put them in a folder called C:\DatabaseDemo).

I'm just saying that if you know database 2 is in the same folder as database 1, then you can write code to link tables and have that script run when database 1 is opened. You wouldn't have to know the path since you can get it at runtime - it would be the same path that database 1 is in.

Upvote 0
Makes sense. Thanks, appreciate the help. I am going to look into the code using the same folder location as the FE database. That would solve it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Mize 1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back