Access for beginners

Yukipilas

Hello Everybody,

I am opening a thread looking for information about MS access capabilities.

I am interested in building a Database in which i can perform calculations with my data. Let me explain about the topic.

In my company we receive weekly a huge chunk of operational data of the client factory. Contained are all the operating values such as temperatures, pressure etc. which we monitor. All measurements are given in hourly values, it is already structured and provided in excel tables.

We use this data to analyze the factory performance by making calculations from the data in excel. It takes unfortunately along time because we have all data spread across different excel tables.

I am interesting in Organizing all the data into a Database and automatizing all the calculations so we can just via one click do our analysis.

So my question is: can i program a user interface in Access, lets say GUI where i can do calculations on my operational data?. Kind of doing excel calculations in Access, is this possible?. With the advantage of having all my data in one place.

If this is possible, i would start right away reading all about MS access, and building the DB.

My first steps would be setting up an Export macro to export the Excel sheets from the client, afterwards finding out how i can do our calculations in the Database and automatizing it

I appreciate any feedback !!

best regards!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi Yukipalas, I think in general Access can do what you're looking for. I have an access database which I take weekly reports I receive in 12 files per week with each file containing 20k rows of data. I wrote an excel vba script that grabs all of these files and consolidates into one large file. I archive that file then import it into Access. Access has an import wizard that, so long as your data is structured in a consistent manner, it allows you to easily import new data and append it to existing data. Then once the data is in Access you can of course write more VBA scripts as well as SQL queries to modify the data, summarize, calculate etc. Then the results of your calculations and analysis can easily be exported back out. You can even program it to email the results with file attachments to recipients you desire.

Currently my largest table contains at least 900k records and still performing fine.

In any event, I think you can accomplish what you're trying to do with Access.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back