Access: Field or fields to contain multiple certifications

jeffreybrown

I'm hoping somebody can walk me thru the best way to achieve this result.

In my database are multiple people who can have up to 4 certs

A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
1​
User​
Cert1​
Cert2​
Cert3​
Cert4​
2​
Person A​
0101​
0201​
0695​
0923​
3​
Person B​
0101​
0301​
0545​
4​
Person C​
0151​
0545​
5​
Person D​
0151​

Data will be entered via a form which has 4 field names: Cert1, Cert2, Cert3, and Cert4 (record source is a table)

In the end, I would like to pull a report which will tell me all the people that have a certain cert.

If the report is going to show cert 0101, then I should get Person A and Person B

If the report is going to show cert 0545, then I should get Person C and Person D

I'm good with the report and the queries, but my question is about the procedure.

I would like to have one column which would show the series and the persons name, but I built four field names in the table.

Is this the only logical way to do it?

Edit: I've only used the table above to display how the data is contained in the access table.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Your table really ought to only have two columns rather than 5, then the report would be simple.

Upvote 0
Hi Rory,

But the problem, if the employee will have more than one cert, then how can I show those certs in one column?

I know it could be entered as a string, separated by say a comma, but then I could not build a report to only show who holds a certain cert.

Upvote 0
You'd have one row per employee/cert combination. So any employee might have up to 4 rows.

You can do it with what you have, using a query with 4 OR criteria, but it would be better design to use just 2 columns IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but it would be better design to use just 2 columns IMO.

Unfortunately the design of this database is not mine (and believe me there are many other things that could be fixed, but I don't have the time for those).

I am just helping a co-worker who is piecing this together, but really doesn't have a grasp for Access. Not saying I do either, but can get by in a pinch. Maybe :cool:

I'll play around a little more to see what I can come up with. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your SQL would look something like this (I've used a parameter but you could just use a control on a form):

PARAMETERS [Enter cert no] Text ( 255 );
SELECT T.User, [Enter cert no] AS Cert
FROM Tablename T
WHERE (((T.Cert1)=[Enter cert no])) OR (((T.Cert2)=[Enter cert no])) OR (((T.Cert3)=[Enter cert no])) OR (((T.Cert4)=[Enter cert no]));

Upvote 0
Hi Rory,

That is basically what I did.

I designed a parameter query, designed the report, and finally added a cmd button to the form. All is working fine. Thank you for the help and guidance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dofrancis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back