Access, Excel, Timelines and Gantt Charts...

CrrazyChaz

Dear All,

I've got quite a headache of a query that i've been trying to solve but with no sucess but am hoping someone can help. I am trying to convert a simple list of flying movements into a gantt chart or daily timeline showing take-off times and landing times over a 24-hour period.

I want to be able to input the data into an access database and then get excel to grab the data, organise it and bob's your uncle create the chart as simply and user friendly for the user as possible. The chart needs the times along the top/bottom/y axis and the callsigns or identification of the aircraft along the side/x axis.

Can anyone shed any light upon my nightmare?

Chaz :rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
You've described your own private hell, without giving us any guidelines as to what data you have and how you expect it to be presented.

Upvote 0
Sorry Jon,

Let me expand a little bit. The use will be for a simple flying club database system. Each day, the movements will be inputted (Callsign, Type, Destination, From, ETA, ETD...) which will go into a table in the database. I am then looking to extract this information from the database to form a Timeline or Gantt style chart which will display moves for a 24-hour period in chronological order. Is that any help?

Chaz

Upvote 0
Chaz -

That's much more understandable. Are you using a particular database, or simply a list in Excel?

For the chart, put the data into three columns: Item, Departure, Duration (=arrival-departure). Make sure the departure is Date-Time data, not just time.

With your three columns in Excel, remove any label above the first column, and insert labels above the last two. Select the entire range, including the top row (labels) and create a stacked horizontal bar chart. Double click on the Departure series, and on the patterns tab, choose None for Border and Area to hide this series. The Duration bars will be floating there in Gantt chart style. You will probably want to either sort your data last-to-first before charting, or change the order of the vertical axis, so that earlier items are higher in the chart.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jon,

I'll give it a try... I'll be inputting the information into an Access database, but will get Excel to extract that information from a custom query to only get 24hrs worth, and hopefully that'll do the trick - I'll keep you posted if i have any success.

Thanks once again,

Chaz (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragananthony7911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back