Access db protection issue

e18cincy

I have a db for which I know the password. However, in a moment of dumb experimentation, I not only added a password but used the startup options to disable usual menus and only display a form. How do I get back to design view? I would like to remove the password as well. I cannot access the db using the shift key bypass, apparently in my genius move I turned it off.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
To remove the password do this:
Close the file
File > Open
Browse to the file in Explorer, select it and click the dropdown next to Open. Pick Open Exclusive.
You will be prompted for the password. Once in, you can remove the password.

Try pressing F11 to display the database container, once the file is open. How are you controlling the startup? Is it purely via the Startup options? It is possible to re-enable the startup bypass in code but you *may* be able to get around it by creating a new, blank database and importing everything from the old into the new.

Denis

Upvote 0
Once I'm in the db, how do I remove the password? Because I turned off the normal file options via startup options, all I can see is the single form. I can try importing everything to a new blank db.

When I try to hit F11, it does nothing. I had tried both that and the shift-enter opening method. Any further ideas?

Upvote 0
Try importing everything to a new database -- create a new DB, File > Get External Data > Import, and follow the prompts.

The security features can bite, as you just discovered!

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis,

Thanks for your help. I ended up being able to press the shift key while while I hit enter after typing in the password, and that gave me regular view again. Phew!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back