access combo box/report question

velma_b

I am using Access 97. I have a form with 8 combo boxes. Each box has "yes", "no", and "n/a" as selection choices. I need a report that will count only the "yes" answers in each column. For example:

Acct No. ComboA ComboB ComboC

22222 Yes No N/A

44444 No Yes Yes

55555 Yes No N/A

2 1 1

First Question: Is it possible to count only the “yes” answers with combo boxes or do I have to switch them to option groups (I don’t have room on my form for all those option boxes)? I found a reference in an old Access book about assigning values to transform the text to numbers in an option group, but nothing about combo boxes. I tried entering:

=IIf([ComboA]=”yes”,”1”,IIf([ComboA]=”no”,”2”,IIf([ComboA]=”n/a”,”3” )))

in the “criteria” box in the query, but when I run the report, I get an “enter parameter value” message and no results.

Second Question: I’m teaching myself Access as I go (and not doing a very good job so far) – can you recommend a good basic training manual I can purchase?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Velma_b

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
You could try creating a calculated textbox for each Combo. They will need to be on the report (not the form) and you will use these to get your totals.
When you build the report, use the textboxes instead of the combos for the summary data.
Example: Use the Report Wizard to build the report. Set it out so that you have [Name], [Other Fields], [FieldA], [FieldB], .... [FieldH]. Pick the least terrible layout style. Choose Landscape for the layout to reduce crowding. You'll then have a row for each record.
To get the totals for each "yes", go to Design View and insert a Report Footer. (The Help files should show you how). Into this footer, insert a TextBox and align it below the FieldA text box in the Detail section. Set its control Source to be =Sum(Iif([FieldA]="Yes",1,0)). Save the report, preview it, and if it works, go back to design view. Copy that control, paste it below each of the other fields (adjacent to the first one), and change the Control Source to suit.

Lengthy explanation, but I hope it helps.
Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back