Access as Inventory Tracking System

tinkerbell737

Board Regular
I am somewhat new to Access and I wanted to know if it could be efficiently used for an inventory tracking system. Basically, I want to enter the inventory for supplies I have on-hand and then create a way for me to remove 'stock' by making an invoice or something. Is that really possible?

I was thinking also that I might be able to accomplish this in Excel by maintaining the inventory in one workbook and a 'stock removal' sheet on another workbook that would recognize a field (like SKU#) and calculate the removal.

Which might be better for this project, would you advise?

Thank you

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Ah, the Access vs. Excel question. Search the Archives, this has been explored to no end. There's really no definitive answer, it's a matter of opinion, but a database tool, although more difficult to master, will be much more powerful and save you a lot of headaches in the long run. I'm sure that the majority of experienced Access developers here have done an inventory-tracking thing before, if you want something to go by, someone would probably attach one. I'd attach the inventory tool that I'm supporting now, but it's so complex and confusing (Project Managers changing the scope and requirements of the project on an almost daily basis) that it'd probably scare you away rather than help you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back