Access 2010 you do not have exclusive access to the database at this time

psamu

I would appreciate if any one can help. I have created a access database, it is shared, and saved in our network folder. But if second user open the database, get message "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later," If press OK many times it open the database. Thanks

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
With Access 2007 and later it has got a lot pickier about how you share a database.

The proper way is to split the database onto a apfront ned (application) and back end (data), Each user will have their own copy of the front end application. The back end (data) is shared. This will prevent the exclusiove issue you are having.

See: Splitting your Access database into application and data

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
With Access 2007 and later it has got a lot pickier about how you share a database.

The proper way is to split the database onto a apfront ned (application) and back end (data), Each user will have their own copy of the front end application. The back end (data) is shared. This will prevent the exclusiove issue you are having.

See: Splitting your Access database into application and data

If I split the database, can I keep the front system in the network? Then create a shortcut on the desktop? Or it has to be in the local drive, then create a shortcut on the desktop? I have several users. Thanks

Upvote 0
The best way is to give each user their own copy of the front-end to run off of their computer.

What I typically do is place a copy of the front-end database on the network, and then create a batch file which copies the front-end off of the network to their computer, and then opens that copy. Then I just put a shortcut to the batch file on their desktop. That makes it really easy to push out updates too (just replace the copy on the network, and the next time they open the database via the batch file, they will get the new version).

Upvote 0
The best way is to give each user their own copy of the front-end to run off of their computer.

What I typically do is place a copy of the front-end database on the network, and then create a batch file which copies the front-end off of the network to their computer, and then opens that copy. Then I just put a shortcut to the batch file on their desktop. That makes it really easy to push out updates too (just replace the copy on the network, and the next time they open the database via the batch file, they will get the new version).

Thanks. What is batch file means? Copy of front-end. ?

Upvote 0
A batch file is a simple exectuable that runs a bunch of DOS commands automatically when clicked. You can create one using any Text Editor (i.e. NotePad, WordPad), and if you name it with a ".bat" extension, it will run automatically open clicking it. Here is a good link on it here: How to Write a Batch File (with Examples) - wikiHow

Here is a link to an example of one that does what I described: Is splitting the DB the correct choice?
You obviously would have to alter it to match your file paths and database names.

There is also a good link on splitting here: Splitting your Access database into application and data

Upvote 0
If I split the database, can I keep the front system in the network? Then create a shortcut on the desktop? Or it has to be in the local drive, then create a shortcut on the desktop? I have several users. Thanks

Your issues are caused by multiple people having the same database opened at a the same time.

The key to why a split database works in your case is that the front end (app) is NOT shared. This eliminates the issue you are experiencing. The back end can be shared because it is "Linked" but not opened directly with Access.

Some alternatives to deploying updates:

A great way to deploy updates automatically that also always users to pin the database to the task bar, which does happen, is to use the FRONT-END AUTO-UPDATE ENABLING TOOL (Works for all versions 2000 and up) found here: Free Access Tools | BTAB Development

Here is another great tool: Application Starter

Upvote 0
A batch file is a simple exectuable that runs a bunch of DOS commands automatically when clicked. You can create one using any Text Editor (i.e. NotePad, WordPad), and if you name it with a ".bat" extension, it will run automatically open clicking it. Here is a good link on it here: How to Write a Batch File (with Examples) - wikiHow

Here is a link to an example of one that does what I described: Is splitting the DB the correct choice?
You obviously would have to alter it to match your file paths and database names.

There is also a good link on splitting here: Splitting your Access database into application and data

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back