Access 2010 - Labels in Report - Formating

PurrSent

Board Regular
Firstly, my apologies for a vague subject. I am finding it difficult to find the terminology etc

I have previously (in Access 2003) created labels, on a two column A4 page, with 6 sections down, ie a total of 12 each consisting of job roles, names (Title/FirstName/Surname), addresses, telephone No and email address.

I am now wanting to do this again but am using a revised Query in Access 2010 so it seems I have to re-create it. I can't remember how I did this. I have also realised I somehow completed this in such a way that the Title, FirstName and Surname, each having its own text box, only had one space between, even though the data is of differing length. I have a screen shot of the Report Design Sheet.

Access_Volunteers_Alphabetical_Design_View.jpg

Can anyone please explain to me (in simple terms) how I would have achieved this?

Thanks very much

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I normally open the original and do a save object as to make a copy and then edit it. Change he record sur e to your new query and update the the field names.

I somehow completed this in such a way that the Title, FirstName and Surname, each having its own text box, only had one space between, even though the data is of differing length.
That is not what the screen shot shows. It shows a single textbox on he second line with a calculation ( ="... ) to combine the fields.

If you are wanting to run the Label wizard, it is on the Create tab in the Reports group. Click Labels.

Upvote 0
Thanks HiTechCoach

Yes, I now can see that the Title, FirstName and Surname are all in one text box. I didn't appreciate that until you pointed it out.
I'll give your suggestion a try and see if I can come up with what I want;

Thanks

Upvote 0

I've realised that it's automatically put Title, Name and Surname into the one text box, presumably because these were all on one line, with space inbetween. The other fields were put on different lines of the label.

However, on doing this in 2010, the Job Title and ComMem display fine, the Title, Name and Surname don't display at all, and the line simply has '#Type!' in this place. The rest of the label fields, ie address, phone and email are displayed OK, including County and PostCode which are on one line.

If I create a label and only put in Surname, that is displayed as expected. If I create a label with Name and Surname, I get '#Type!' so there is clearly an error here.

Can anyone please help me, tell me what the error is and how to fix it please?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
If I create a label and only put in Surname, that is displayed as expected. If I create a label with Name and Surname, I get '#Type!' so there is clearly an error here.

Ceck the new control name. Make sure the name does not name a field name.

Upvote 0
Hi

At last, I understand what the problem has been. I've spent so much time looking into the Report details, comparing it with another that works etc. Then I had a flash of inspiration. I had somehow managed to have a field called 'Name'. I suddenly had a vague memory of Access not liking some words being used for Field Titles, and that one of them was 'Name'. I also have a vague recollection of not being able to have a field 'Name'.

So, I changed it to ForeName and, of course, it worked immediately. Such a simple thing but it can really cause a huge problem. I'll have to try to remember that in the future.

HiTechCoach, many many thanks for your time and patience. I can only hope that this helps another Access user at some time or other

Again, my sincere appreciation of your help

[Edit: I can't see any way to mark this as SOLVED. Is it possible? Thanks]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back