A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

gand3rson

"A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

I am using three tables (one has sales by item in units [sales and cogs], the second has inventory on hand by item in units as well related cost [inventory]. As both these tables have the same item repeated multiple times for different locations, I created a third table of UNIQUE items [item list]. This third table is used to relate the first two tables so that DAX function made be done.

In the third table I calculate "months of sale" at the item level using a DAX as follows (this is actually a simplified version of the formula - the full version adjusts it for months the items was actually avalible for sale):

MOS = sum('Inventory'[On Hand Units])/sum('Sales and COGS '[Sales units])*12

So far this works great. Now that I know what my MOS is i want to put the results into "bands" (discretization in BI circles or so I am told).

I have used this Dax formula

Turn Band =if('Sales and COGS '[MOS]<=3,"0-3",if('Sales and COGS [MOS]<=6,"3-6",if('Sales and COGS [MOS]<=9,"6-9",if('Sales and COGS '[MOS]<=12,"9-12",if('Sales and COGS '[MOS]<=18,"12-18","24+"))))))

However while this works I would rather use a formula that links to a 4rth table in power pivot [bands]. That way it is easier to change the bands by changing a table as opposed to a formula.

The table looks like this

BandNameTurn
0 - 30
3 - 63
6 - 96
9 - 129
12 - 1812
18 - 2418
24 + 24

<colgroup><col style="width: 66pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3128;" width="88"> <col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

The DAX formula I used to try and come up with the bands for use in the [item] table is this

Turn band =CALCULATE(VALUES('Turn Bands'[BandName]),FILTER('Turn Bands','Sales and COGS '[MOS]>=min('Turn Bands'[Turn])&&'Sales and COGS '[MOS]<max('Turn Bands'[Turn])))

When I use that formula I get this error

"A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

I admit I am hacking these DAXs together based on internet research so If anyone can help I would be most grateful

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
The problem comes from CALCULATE(VALUES('Turn Bands'[BandName]) ...

CALCULATE expects a scalar expression (an expression return a single value). VALUES actually returns a column expression. If this column only contains 1 scalar value, then the expression will work fine.

Now if you have more than 1 value in your filter context (like in subtotals), then the calcualation will break.

So, you may actually want to rewrite your calculation taking multiple selections into account, or add a safeguard expression like IF(COUNTROWS(VALUES(...)) = 1, ...

Upvote 0
The best way to 'band' is to specify, in your lookup table, the min and max value. In other words:

BandName Min Max
0-3 0 3
4-6 4 6

and so on.

You DAX formula should then be:

CALCULATE(VALUES('Turn Bands'[Band Name]), FILTER('Turn Bands', 'Sales and COGS'[MOS] >= 'Turn Bands'[Min] && 'Sales and COGS'[MOS] <= 'Turn Bands'[Max]) )

Upvote 0
Javier Guillen fine Sir you are a gentleman and a scholar

i was close but obv messed the min max thing up. All I had to do was remove one of your = signes from the two >= <= and it worked perfectly.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back