A question of Logic or is it (Brain Teaser)

swaink

Hi All :eek: :confused:

This is not really for this forum but to me it's a good place for me to share my thoughts as I respect the input from the board.

I have a situation where our packaging department have been instructed that none of our packing should exceed 0.34 Cu M OR 12 CU ft.

The warehouse guys have to measure the dims then do the sums to find out if the package is within the new requirement.

To assist the warehouse guys my simple logic is can we give them a template in the shape of a piece of cord.

To find the length required for the cord we add the Length + Width + Height we get one lenth for example

1218mm X 573mm X 487mm = 0.3399 cu m (12 cu ft)
1218mm + 573mm + 487mm = 2278mm

If we have a piece of cord cut to length 2278mm and the warehouse guys simply stretch the cord around the package Lenth then Width then Height and they have cord left over the pack will be within requirement, If we fall short of one side then the pack is outside the requirement.

This way the pack could have variable dims and measured without all the calculations

Feel free to pick holes in the idea or tell me if I am on the right lines

Await any replies

All the best

Kevin

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
As I understand it, a cube is the most efficient shape for enclosing a given volume. Take a look at this table:

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1LWHSumVol
Sheet1

So, the *minimum* dimension that will enclose 12 cu ft is (12^(1/3))*3, or 6.87 ft of string. Trouble is, you want the *maximum* and I don't think you can do that.

Eg, a box 1*1*12 will have a volume of 12 and dimensions of 14. But a cubic box with sides 14/3 will also have a dimension of 14, and a volume of 101.62.
That's an extreme example but you get the idea...

Denis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Denis

Thanks for the reply it is appreciated.

I see your point looks like its back to the drawing board for me then, it seemed a simple idea when I first thought of it.

I like the simple solutions

Kev

Maybe I'm being Naive... but wouldn't it be easier to inventory 6 or 10 or 50 standard box sizes that comply with the volume requirements. Stock only those, then the warehouse boys will always compy with requirements provided they have selected a box from the standard inventory.

Hi Hatman

Absolutely unfortunately due to the nature of our despatch process we group several booking slips.

To attempt to reduce cost we then in some instances join two boxes together and cut them down to fit the contents.

This is where we then have the problem of exceeding the volumetric if we are not careful. If it looks like this will happen then the guys will split the goods.

Cheers

Kev

In that case, it's all about training. Put together a 15 minute presentation, with examples of do's and dont's ... the more pictures of packing gone HORRIBLY wrong, the better. In my experience, the guys on the floor appreciate being treated like adults, rather than children... give them the volume formula, and tell them "If you exceed the standard packing boxes, then apply this formula..."

The Post office uses a system where rectangles are drawn on a table top. If the different sides fit inside the various rectangles, its within spec.

Hi Guys thanks for the replies

I am going to explore your idea more mikerickson and also incorporate the training suggestion also.

Your absolutely correct Hatman and I am pleased to say this all started after the guys them selves made suggestion of how they could improve their performance so its good to go back to them and give genuine feedback

I appreciate your time gents thank you

Regards

Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wella86

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back