A question of ethics.

Is it unethical to attempt to woo a person who is engaged.

• Yes, with no reservation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it might depend on the circumstances.

• No, with no reservation.

• No, but you would probably be making a mistake.

• Total voters

Oorang

This is SO not Excel related.

I saw a recent episode of House and it got me thinking over the ethics of affairs, and such. And I was wondering if anyone felt it was unethical to try to charm someone away from their fiance? Yes/No/Depends?

What do you think?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi Oorang

Interesting question. Why not turn your question into a poll? IMO it depends. Take for example if you knew your friends fiance was an axe-wielding murderer, and your friend {target?} didn't, then it wouldn't be unethical to do so....but that's just a purely hypothetical situation....most unlikely......very unlikely.

Andrew

It’s dubious at least. I’d say it’s pretty low on morals but would need to be looked at on a case by case basis. Not sure you can have a blanket rule for every time it happens.

First you’d need to ask the question, “What is ethically correct?”. If it would be ethically correct if it meant more people would end up happy then it’s possible that their subsequent split up would lead to the fiancé finding a partner even better (more suited) than the one they were about to marry and the two couples both leading long and fulfilling lives. Unfortunately, since it’s impossible to know that this will happen, I can’t see how the end can justify the means.

Of course, I’d also consider whether I care how ethically correct it is. If I loved someone who was about to marry someone else would I be able to live with myself if I did nothing about it and spent the rest of my days wondering “What if?”.

Just too much to consider I guess, certainly too much to type out in this reply so I’ll stop for now.

Nick

Andrew:
Hmm. I am still up in the air. I mean technically and engament is a commitment to make a lifetime commitment. Not a lifetime commitment. However I think that if you actually suceeded you would have to wonder just how faithful your catch really is. As for "rescueing them" you make a good arguement, but one would think you at the very least you have a conflict of interest:) BTW Per your suggestion I added the poll.

litrelord:
On the question of ethically correct, I guess I was thinking in terms of "first do no harm". i don' think it is ok to act in self interest if you are trampling someone elses rights. Which of course led to the question, what would the "rights" of the {target}s fiancee be. I mean you personally would owe them no formal obligation. but I was pndering if if there was a tacit obligation.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, a fiancé is pretty much married at that point, in terms of long-term commitment...

And while I haven't been to Sunday school in a while, I do believe the following:

• Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, or he will shoot you.
This is a no-no, in my opinion. :wink:

Well, as far as I'm concerned, a fiancé is pretty much married at that point, in terms of long-term commitment...

And while I haven't been to Sunday school in a while, I do believe the following:

• Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, or he will shoot you.
This is a no-no, in my opinion. :wink:

"Is it unethical to attempt to woo a person who is engaged."
+
is a no-no
=
not unethical: means ethical

I hope you noticed the UN-question, else you will need your adminspower to change your vote :-) :oops:
if I did grasp your explanation of course :-)

it's unethical for me so YES

kind regards,
Erik

As an old cowboy, I'll just stick with the Cowboy's Ten Commandments:

(1) Just one God.
(2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.
(3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
(4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.
(5) Put nothin' before God.
(6) No foolin' around with another fella's gal.
(7) No killin'.
(8) Watch yer mouth.
(9) Don't take what ain't yers.
(10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff.

Smitty

ROFL
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, or he will shoot you.
"Because guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do."

PennySaver: That whole post was just awesome, I think I may have to forward that.

Interesting how modern age man can sit and ponder whether or not his biological dersire to spread his genes as far as possible is ethically sound lol.

Get it in context in my opinion: engagement is not marriage; it's not legally binding, and your're not actually obliged to take the sacred vows just by accepting a proposition. Context as I say is important: you're only trying to woo her!! Unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of 'Woo', it certainly doesn't correlate to 'penetrate,' or even have sexual relations! You may find that in the process of wooing that you don't like the woman and vice versa. You may find that she's the one for you and vice versa, in which case you've both got some serious decision making to do lol.

Thinking more like the creatures we are, rather than the 'Perfectly Ethical' machines we're not, can seriously facilitate seemingly difficult decision making in my opinion.

Ah but if we don't struggle to be more than animals we almost certainly will be animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prakash K

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back