A little help on creating a search form

jmegordon

Hi everyone!

First off may I just say that you have a fantastic forum here! I was just browsing through a load of your posts and you all seem really helpful, so I figured i'd ask for some help!
I'm 20 years old, with quite basic computer knowledge; I know my way round a computer and some simple computer programing language, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes!
I just started a new job, and i've been given the mundane task of data entry, but I figured that I may still be able to impress my new boss with some nifty features.

The spreadsheet i'm working on has over 1000 fields, so rather than people who open it having to trawl through every field just to find the relevant information, I figured there should be a way to include a search form! I've been playing around with it all day and browsing the forums and i've found similar posts, but nothing exactly like what I need.

Ideally I want the search form to be on the opening tab, with the raw data on a seperate tab, as at times the raw data may need to be directly accessed.

The data has 11 collumns:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="3061"><colgroup><col width="119"><col width="150"><col width="171"><col width="212"><col width="305"><col width="148"><col width="216"><col width="122"><col width="121"><col width="209"><col width="105"><col width="94"><col width="116"><col width="454"><col width="519"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="31"> <td class="xl24" style="height:23.25pt;width:89pt" height="31" width="119">Sport</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:113pt" width="150">Contact Name</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:128pt" width="171">AG/C4L Database</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:159pt" width="212">Requested Newsletter </td> <td class="xl24" style="width:229pt" width="305">Club Name</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:111pt" width="148">Club Mark</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:162pt" width="216">Address 1</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:92pt" width="122">Address 2</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:91pt" width="121">Address 3</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:157pt" width="209">Town</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:79pt" width="105">County</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:71pt" width="94">Postcode</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:87pt" width="116">Phone</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:341pt" width="454">Email</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:389pt" width="519">Website</td> </tr></tbody></table>
However only 5 of them need to be searchable fields - but all the fields must show in the results if that makes sense?

The 5 searchable fields would be
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="1773"><colgroup><col width="119"><col width="150"><col width="171"><col width="212"><col width="305"><col width="148"><col width="216"><col width="122"><col width="121"><col width="209"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="31"> <td class="xl24" style="height:23.25pt;width:89pt" height="31" width="119">Sport</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:128pt" width="171">AG/C4L Database</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:159pt" width="212">Requested Newsletter </td> <td class="xl24" style="width:111pt" width="148">Club Mark</td> <td class="xl24" style="width:157pt" width="209">Town</td> </tr></tbody></table>
Also sometimes results will need to be filtered for multiple fields - i.e searching for a football club who has requested newsletter.

I read one way that did a similar thing, but only highlighted the relevant data. If possible I would like to completely filter the data based on the search form.

Oh and two last things, my boss is pretty computer illeterate, so the simplier to use the better! :) and the database will be stored on a shared drive and accessed from many different computers - i'm not sure if this will affect anything, but I figured it may be worth including.

Any help at all would be massivly apriechated, as right now i'm completely stumped!

P.S my spelling is shocking and i'm running excel 2003

Thankyou for your time if you actually read all that ^^^

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Appologies
1) For the double post
2) For the slightly misleading "little help" title
and 3) For the horrible sideways scrolling that I can't seem to get rid of as I copied the headings directly from excel!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ogoreo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back