A good book for beginners wanting to learn VB

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I get the feeling you are wanting to learn VB specifically for Excel -

here's a good book:

Using Excel Visual Basic for applications (Special Edition)

it's a reference book but you can read sequentially through the first couple of chapters, and go to any chapter and read the summary for the 'jist' of the topic. For specifics, like I said, it's a reference so you can go to the index and reference a topic like ListBox Properties for instance.

it's written by Jeff Webb - who used to work for Microsoft and was a major part of the VB development suite.

good luck.

Upvote 0
I'll take you at your word and assume you want to know about Access VBA. I personally like "Beginning Access 2000 VBA" by Robert Smith and David Sussman, published by Wrox, ISBN 1-861001-76-2.

Upvote 0
I'll take you at your word and assume you want to know about Access VBA. I personally like "Beginning Access 2000 VBA" by Robert Smith and David Sussman, published by Wrox, ISBN 1-861001-76-2.

I'll second that vote. As is probably fairly obvious, I am also relatively new to Access VBA programming. I have "Access 2000 Programming Weekend Crash Course," "Access 2002 Bible,' and the book mentioned above. Smith & Sussman's book is very user-friendly. I found several inconsistencies between code mentinoed in the "Crash Course" and what was actually found on their CD!

Upvote 0
Hi TTR9000

The other posts here are all for Visual Basic fro Applications (VBA).

If you are looking for books that cover Visual Basic 6.0 or VB.Net, the programming languages, do a search in Amazon.Com and sort the results by the stars the users give each book. Those user reviews are pretty accurate as to usefulness and value for money.

Wrox publishers mentioned in other posts here is an excellent source so check their website. I began learning VB 6.0 with a Wrox Piublishers book and it helped me greatly, but I can't remember it's name off-hand. I started to learn Visual basic a number of years ago so all the books I used are old and, while the information is not out of date, have been superceeded by more modern works. That's where Amazon comes in.

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back