A few questions regarding conditional formatting between sheets

r3su87

Hi all,

Probably, like most users, I have signed up with a question in mind. I understand the basics of Excel but always keen to know more! i am using office 2011 (home and business)

I'm currently creating a multi sheet document, which audits our PCs within the office;

Sheet1 = User info including what machine they use.
Sheet 2 - 12 = individual machine info - hardware and software versions etc.
Sheet 13 = index, which is updated with the current software versions etc.

I want to be able to open sheet 1 and it to show me what machines require attention. The easiest way I thought that this could happen is by using the index page to set the 'base' values for the conditional formatting elsewhere in the document.

I have a few questions regarding the above, which I have listed below;

Sheet 13 - Using '=TODAY()' to show machine age

We use MACS at work, they are usually classified as either Early, Mid or Late during that year of manufacture.
I have set the 'TODAY' function to E1 and else where on the sheet I wish to convert the current date to show Early, Mid or Late with the year.
For example 04/02/15 = Early, 2015.

I have managed to put something together like this "=IF(AND(MONTH(E1)<4),"Early")" which does the early bit but I can't figure out a way for it to show the year too?

Also by splitting the year into 3 then do I have to repeat the above two more times to show the ranges 1-4 5-8 9-12 OR can I slim this down to something more elegant by using CONCATENATE?

How to link conditional cells to other sheets?
By using the above I want to create a conditional cell to show that the machine is getting old. Maybe 4 years it shows as orange and at 6 it shows as red. Could anyone advise?

Now, this maybe getting a bit complicated but if I had say 3 conditional cells for each machine 1 for hardware, 1 for OS and 1 for software versions. Is it possible to then link those 3 to the main page into 1 conditional cell that reacts if 3 out of 3 are green then green, if 2 out of 3 or green then yellow, 1 out of 3 then red.
Firstly - is it even possible?
Secondly - can anyone help me do it?

Thank you very much for reading, I hope someone can help!

Will

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back