A couple of Excel polls

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Some good chart designs there. Maybe I'm biased but I went for the uncluttered ones.

Denis

I'm with Denis. I follow Edward Tufte's approach, less is more. Less clutter means more ability to communicate.

Having had to try to tackle the problem of creating a tool to estimate shipping volumes to create quotes for export customers, I found the truck loading application very nice. In my case several types of products were "nestable" when knocked down for shipping. So if they ordered just ten units of model "A" the volume might be 12 m<sup>3</sup> and if they ordered only ten units of model "B"; 8 m<sup>3</sup>. But ten of both A & B would not be 20 m<sup>3</sup> but rather something like 14 m<sup>3</sup>. Anyway, that was over a decade ago w/ Paradox & Quattro (anybody remember Borland?). My output never looked quite so pretty as Brett Bernardo's, that's for sure.

I am a bit sad that I missed the challenge. It would be fun if they were a bit more frequent. As it is, I rather forget about them because they seem to only be issued once in a blue moon. I would not have spotted this one either, were it not for Bill starting this thread.

I have Excel 97 at work and 2003 at home. I dread the upgrade at work. The Help function on my 2003 version at home sucks it's slow and you can't browse. Nor do I like all the stinking little yellow boxes that popup all over the place. And the paperclip guy does anyone like the paperclip guy?

Does 2007 have a fast convenient help section?

Can you turn off all the automatic stupid stuff?

Nor do I like all the stinking little yellow boxes that popup all over the place. And the paperclip guy does anyone like the paperclip guy?

That's the first thing that gets turned OFF for me!. ;)

Death to Clippy!

Smitty

(I wonder if CYndi would Flash me up a cartoon of Clippy being dismembered?)

EDIT: Sorry to interrupt...

Never really understood the point of the paperclip guy, surely the "help question" box does the same job without contorting itself all over my screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ckaplan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back