A brief history of the Lounge and where we're at today

NateO

Legend
Hello,

This is more for the sake of newer members, and not directed at any particular individual, so it's understood as to what the purpose of this forum is, where it's been in the past and what it is today. I saw this alluded to in another thread the other month, so I thought I would speak to it.

Way back in 2002, we decided to open an off-Excel topic forum for our members for, well, a place to chat. Jokes, hardware questions, whatever. The goal was to enhance the community with a more social outlet. It was never intended to serve as soapbox or a debate forum, etc...

You might notice that this forum is pretty heavily moderated in terms of what the moderation staff considers acceptable, and for good reason. This forum used to not be moderated very heavily and the results were a disaster, by 2004 you couldn't enter this forum without cringing, it was a complete debacle.

So, at the time, instead of moderating this forum and individuals, which was totally out of control, we decided that shutting it down was a far simpler and effective solution. But over time we determined that this was not the best solution in terms of having a great community. It was, however, the right decision at the time.

Fast forward. You might notice that this forum is Lounge v.2.0, a name chosen to keep in mind the history of the Lounge and how this forum is going to operate, going forward. We ultimately decided we did want a Lounge, but we also wanted an off-topic area that is troll, spam and flame-free, so we also decided to draft new rules and heavily moderate this area.

Moderation is fairly subjective and the goal isn't censorship, per se, it's more to create an environment where everyone is comfortable participating in. The results have been pretty solid, for the most part, I can now enter the Lounge and feel comfortable with most of the posts that I read.

Why is this important? We have a very diverse membership here, ranging from a variety of regions around the world. MrExcel.com has become an extremely large and popular group of user forums, even Microsoft recommends them:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905420.aspx

So, we have quite a reputation to maintain at this point; consequently, we'll continue to heavily moderate these forums.

And while it may be unfortunate if a questionable post has to be removed, I'd like to ask that we hold off on the debate, we're well past that point in time (that was four years ago), we used to entertain the debate, it was (and still is) counterproductive. If it's questionable, it's going to be removed and no amount of debate is going to change that, it's a conclusion we came to many years ago, and that's not going to change.

You might ask, what makes a post questionable? It's pretty simple, if our moderation staff thinks it's questionable, it's questionable. This group of individuals are a pretty reasonable group who have put forth an outstanding effort in helping to enhance our community, I trust their judgement and they have my full support. Mistakes might be made, but 99% of the time, the decisions are pretty good and I think the results of what we have today support that conclusion.

Hopefully that helps put in perspective as to what we're trying to accomplish with this forum and why it functions as it does. Otherwise, enjoy the Lounge (v.2.0)! :)

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Back when we were having some of the grand debate which Nate references, I made the point that while some of us spend a lot of time here; we ought not to forget that we are guests in Bill's home. Bill's the one that's footin' the costs for all of us to learn and grow and improve Excel-wise. Obviously, every time he signs the checks to cover these costs, he has to decide if those costs ultimately build his consulting and lecturing business.

And it is a symbiotic thing; if nobody came and posted, paying for a board would be fruitless. But, at the end of the day, this is Bill's place of business. If we simply behave like we would as guests in someone's home or office; then Nate can spend less time moderatin' and more time with his baby (hotrod Jeep), lookin' fer babes or playin' with his new nephew (or was it a neice?) [an actual baby]. :lol:

And, since I ain't said it lately. Thanks again, Bill, fer keepin' the lights on for this long-running party. :bow:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warwick89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back