3 quick questions

x-amount

1. How do I select a row, column or cell from a range?

say, if i've got range "Jolly_Roger" which is cells "a1:ad4567",

how do I select the first column,

or the cell 3 rows down and 16 columns across?

Can I do that via quoting the range?

i.e. is there a phrase for "the first column of the Jolly_Roger range"
and

2. If Ive got a list of filenames in column a, how can I include theses filename in a reference?

for example.

Each business unit has a forecast sheet which summarises their annual budgets, on sheet1 in their respective workbook. I am making a summary of these sumamries.

If i have the simple BU name in column a, i will have the filename of the budget for that BU in the corresponding row in column b.

If i have a data validation box which has only the BU names as valid entries, I want to the vlookup the filename/location from the BU name (from the above paragraph set-up), and then use this reference in my formula.

I think the INDIRECT function may play a part in this, but Im not too sure.

3. I have 3 cells on different sheets in the same workbook. I want them all to have the SAME value, but I want to be able to change the value in each location.

I have the idea of a worksheet_change thingy which update the other cells in turn, and whack a validation drop down on each cell. Is this my best soultion. I am apprehensive about this method, as I already have a worksheet_change on some of my worksheets for soemthing different. Can I have more than one "changed cell" test by simply nesting my if's?

Actually, these may not be so quick as I had imagined!

I'm actually leaving the office now, so i'll greatfully implement and comment on any solutions tomorrow!

TVMIA

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
x-amount said:

and

{=A:A Jolly_Roger}
{=INDEX(Jolly_Roger,0,1)}

{=OFFSET(Jolly_Roger,3,,,16)}

Note: These are array formulas which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula. For more on array formulas see the Excel Help topic for "About array formulas and how to enter them".

Upvote 0
Answer to Question 1

Code:
Private Sub Test()
    'Indicate the value that is 3 rows down, 16 rows across from the top left cell
    MsgBox Range("Jolly_Roger").Item(3, 16).Value
    'Indicate the column number of the first column in the range
    MsgBox Range("Jolly_Roger").Column
End Sub

Upvote 0
x-amount said:

and

INDEX(Joly_Roger,4,0)

accesses the 4th row of Joly_Roger, which is equivalent to...

A3:AD3

INDEX(Joly_Roger,0,1)

accesses all rows of the 1st column within Joly_Roger, which is equivalent to...

A1:A4567

INDEX(Joly_Roger,0,1):INDEX(Joly_Roger,3,16) or

A1:INDEX(Joly_Roger,3,16)

gives you the range...

A1:P3

2. If Ive got a list of filenames in column a, how can I include theses filename in a reference?

for example.

Each business unit has a forecast sheet which summarises their annual budgets, on sheet1 in their respective workbook. I am making a summary of these sumamries.

If i have the simple BU name in column a, i will have the filename of the budget for that BU in the corresponding row in column b.

If i have a data validation box which has only the BU names as valid entries, I want to the vlookup the filename/location from the BU name (from the above paragraph set-up), and then use this reference in my formula.

I think the INDIRECT function may play a part in this, but Im not too sure.

This depends a bit on what you in column A. If you want to work with closed books (INDIRECT requires the target file to be open), consider using INDIRECT.EXT from the morefunc add-in.

Upvote 0
3. I have 3 cells on different sheets in the same workbook. I want them all to have the SAME value, but I want to be able to change the value in each location.

I have the idea of a worksheet_change thingy which update the other cells in turn, and whack a validation drop down on each cell. Is this my best soultion. I am apprehensive about this method, as I already have a worksheet_change on some of my worksheets for soemthing different. Can I have more than one "changed cell" test by simply nesting my if's?

Yes, you should be able to have multiple checks like --

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing
    ' do if A1 events...
Else if Not Intersect(Target, Range("B1:C100")) Is Nothing
    ' do other events...
Else
    ' do nothing
endif
Application.EnableEvents = True
End

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back