255 Character Max in Hyperlink Mailto Body

Schwimms

Hello All!

I am trying to write a hyperlink using mailto and the body of my email is ending up to be to long. Is there a work around that will allow me to use a longer body?...Also my subject is to long to....any ideas?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I am not aware of any way to circumvent the 255 char limit restriction on the mailto method.

If the mail clients on all machines using this file are the same (eg Outlook) you might consider using VBA to generate the mail item directly.

Upvote 0
Do you think you can give me some assistance with writing the VB?

What I have is a column and for each ******* event of the cell in the row it should generate an email. I want to be able to click the cell and it pops up the email with some of that rows information. Also based on a specific date in that row I want it to generate a specific email related to that date. The data is in a querytable so I'd like to reference the column of the querytable by the column name. Something like this:

Dim tb1 As QueryTable
tb1.ListObject.ListColumns ("job")

I'm not sure if that above code works. Hopefully what I asked for makes sense.

Upvote 0
In terms of VBA email pointers - Ron de Bruin's site offers an immense number of examples covering what is in truth a fairly vast topic:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm

In terms of how best to invoke the email code (once you've created it)... you could:

a) use a Double Click Event from a given range of cells (if cell double clicked is in the appropriate range you invoke the email)

b) if wish to continue as though you had Hyperlinks you could add a dummy hyperlink (referencing itself with display text of "Generate Mail" etc...) and use the FollowHyperlink event.
(test the link to see if it is the Dummy Link and if so invoke the email code).

Upvote 0
The cells that are the actual hyperlinks would actually just be the name of the user you want to send the email to. On click of that cell an email would pop up with information from data on that same row. I believe I would have to create a CASE within the sheet for the column I want to have a pop up email.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back