!!!2 hours to cut and paste 9 items!!!

kylefoley76

I JUST SPENT TWO HOURS TRYING TO CUT AND PASTE 9 ITEMS!!! i had these huge arrays of about 1000 items and i had to split them into lines of less than 25 but even if i split them into 18 or 15 lines even then excel wouldn't accept it and it would crash. first, it took me about 30 minutes to figure out that there was a comma missing, then that's when i started to do cutting and pasting. it seems like each time i would do a successful cut and paste then it would not accept the second one, or worse, it would crash. excel crashed about 6 times out of those 9 cut and paste operations. luckily i was smart enough to export the macro after each successful cut and paste, otherwise i would have really been up the creek without a paddle.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Interesting! I have often spent up to 5 minutes waiting for data to copy to the clipboard, then another 5 minutes or so to paste it to the new location.

I just thought it was the P.O.S. HP/Compaq i have at work because it never happens at home, where I have a real PC.

Then I started to realize that it might be Excel.

Then I started to notice that it seems to occur most often (but not always!) when I have a lot of functions in the speadsheet.

But just for argument's sake: The slow Copy>Paste also occurs when it's just data without functions.

Wish I could figure it out, but there seems to be almost no pattern except those above.

I don't know what it is, so I have learned to live with it.:(

Not really. That was one of the things I tried when I realized there might be a connection to the lag. It helps a little, but not much.

Have you tried a different printer?

kyle

Are you talking about arrays in VBA and cutting/copying/pasting/inserting line continuation?

Whenever I have to do something like that I copy into some other application, perhaps even Excel.

Then I would create formulas to split and then rejoin to get the required format.

Once satifsfied with the result just copy, paste special values, copy again and then paste into the destination.

I've got to ask though, and you probably know what I'm going to ask, why do you have these hugh arrays?

Especially when it sounds like you are hardcoding them.:)

PS You can ignore the above completely if it wasn't code.

Don't dismiss Rory's comment about the printer, BTW. I'm guessing he suggested it because if I'm not mistaken Excel drives the screen rendering through the printer driver. There may be a chance something is awry in that area.

Am I right in thinking that has changed in Excel 2010 or have I just make that up?

Dom

I think you made it up. Or you are thinking of the fact that you can turn off printer communication while doing page setup stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back