IfBold/IsBold ???

gazza52

I have what I thought would be a simple task however, as I cannot find any info on it, I may be wrong.

The scanario is a large list of competitors playing a knockout competition (Golf). I only want to write their names once so I thought I could list each match (2 players) and as a player wins his match I would change his name to bold (ie CTL + B). This would then automatically carry over to the next match.

With the above in mind, below is an example of a match where Players 1 and 3 would be "bold" in column A. C3 and C4 would have the formula to select the players who name is in bold:

(A1) Player 1
(A2) Player 2
>>>>>>>>>> (C3) Player 1
>>>>>>>>>> (C4) Player 3
(A5) Player 3
(A6) Player 4

I Have been trying various formulas using IfBold and IsBold and have tried some of the UDF's from the forum but I am at the headbanging stage. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am not very experienced with Visual Basic if the help goes in that direction.

:banghead:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hello,

Could you not use CONDITIONAL FORMATTING where in cell A1 you have the CONDITION as

Formula is =B3=CELL("contents",A1)

A2 CONDITION as

Formula is = B3=CELL("contents",A2)

A5 CONDITION is

Formula is = B5=CELL("contents",A4)

and A6 CONDITION is

Formula is = B3=CELL("contents",A5)

You can then use the format painter for other cells.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input Onlyadrafter however, I do not think I explained my problem very well. So I have included a quick and dirty abbreviation table of what I want below.
Book2.xls
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Player1Player1
2Player2Player2
3Player1
4Player4
5Player3Player3
6Player4Player4
7Player4
8Player6
9Player5Player5
10Player6Player6
11Player6
12Player7
13Player7Player7
14Player8Player8
17Example1-AfterinitialDrawbeforeanygamesplayed.Example2-After2matches.ThewinnersofeachmatcharemadeboldbyCtlB.
Sheet1

The table would be much larger than above and the idea is to only input the names once in column A, which I do via a macro. I now want a formula which will automatically update the following games in Column C and E (as per exampe two) when I convert one of the names from each match in column A to Bold (via Ctl B).

I hope the table looks better when I post than the preview I am looking at. I have been trying to master Colo's HTML Maker.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Upvote 0
Thanks Fairwinds,
It worked perfectly. The beauty of this forum is that you get different perspectives on the problem at hand. I was stuck on the "IsBold" and "IfBold" aspect and couldn't see the ripples for the waves.

Happy sailing.

:-P

Upvote 0
Hi,

As regards the original query, using the following UDF (which is, I assume, similar to what you were using):
Code:
Function IsBold(rng As Range)
    Application.Volatile
    IsBold = rng.Font.Bold
End Function
I got the following results (you will need to press F9 to force a recalculate after adding Bold to a particular cell):
Book1
ABCDEF
2Player1
3Player2
4Player2
5Player3
6Player3
7Player4
8Player2
9Player5
10Player5
11Player6
12Player5
13Player7
14Player7
15Player8
Sheet1

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowebca

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back