Conditional formatting

MitchS

Lets see how I can explain this...I'm not good with XL formulas at all! I have a XL sheet I use for horse racing. Lots of numerical data on this sheet. I export the data from MS Access onto an XL sheet. A guy helped me with a formula that separates the races so I have a header on top of each race. Once the races are separated with headers on top I then copy and paste into a fresh XL sheet away form the sheet with the seperator code.

Here's what I want to do. I want to automatically highlight the top 3 numerical values in each race on various columns.

Now I know how to get the TOP RANKED highlighted IF the whole XL sheet was just ONE RACE...BUT my XL sheet gets separated into may 10 races AND I also want the top 3 highlighted not just the top one.

IF the sheet was one race and I Just wanted the top ranking I could use this...

"Equal to" =MAX($A$1:$A$200)

That would give me the top ranking on the whole sheet BUT....

The problem is that each sheet is separated in maybe 10 races so there is no EXACT constant with the column numbers as they change slightly with I seperate the races.

My question then is it possible to highlight the top 3 numerical values on a XL sheet where the column numbers are not constant as they change slightly when I separate the races for day to day use. The reason this is, is because there is no constant on the number of horses in each race.

Make sense? Is this possible?

Mitch

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
As you can see there are multiple races on one XL sheet. I'd like to be able to highlight the top 3 numbers on certain columns in EACH RACE. To the far left you see "RN". Thats the race number, so you can see that there are multiple races on one XL sheet. The problem is that I'll be deleting this sheet and starting from scratch another day. So the spacing between races will change from day to day. Its not constant..

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Most of us will not download files. Use the link that I posted to paint a picture.

Upvote 0
This is ridiculous!:(
Was that an attempt at any of the methods suggested?

Is this something like what you want? It highlights the first 3 values in the PN column for each race.

If you need help with how to apply this, please advise which version of Excel you are using.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
17TKRNHorsePN
18Ded2Caddo Native3
19Ded2Watch My Smoke5
20Ded2Man Of Strife6
21Ded2Z Native7
22Ded2Jump Jump1
23Ded2K One Four8
24Ded2Mardi Gras Man2
25Ded2Prince William B4
28TKRNHorsePN
29Ded3What A Tribute8
30Ded3Hit The Switch5
31Ded3Goheadmakemyday9
32Ded3Call Me Ruston12
33Ded3Toro Creek11
34Ded3Mr Big Stuff7
35Ded3Sal's Big Easy3
36Ded3Prime Time Gambler6
37Ded3Li'l Austin1
38Ded3Along Came John10
39Ded3Rainbow Gold2
40Ded3Political Shoes4
Cf within race
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
D181. / Formula is =AND(D18<=SMALL(IF($B$18:$B$50=B18,$D$18:$D$50),3),D18<>"")Abc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back